The Shadow Over Innsmouth [novelette] by H.…

The Shadow Over Innsmouth [novelette] (1936)

by H.P. Lovecraft

The Litany of Earth: A Tor.Com Original by Ruthanna Emrys (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Emrys' tale is something of an "answer" story to Lovecraft's.
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Tales of mysterious goings-on in creepy little New England towns by two masters of the horror genre.
    War with the Newts by Karel Čapek (bertilak)
    Degeneration by Max Nordau (bertilak)

English (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (4)
Shut my mouth, or my eyes if I can. This story is the basis of the Video Game The Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. ( )
  jefware | Apr 10, 2018 |
The Shadow Over Innsmouth is a short novel about a weird hybrid race of humans and creatures resembling a cross between a fish and a frog, which lives in the seaside village of Innsmouth, so says the synopsis. In reality, it reads like a journal or a travelogue, and honestly, the writing style kept me with it as much as anything, as it was very matter-of-fact about what the writer went through. I’ve had this on my to-read list for a very long time, having been a goth teenager with a penchant for reading excessive amounts of books, and the books I skipped over in my goth-dom would probably have gotten me kicked out for cardinal sins - I never got around to Lovecraft or Gaiman’s Sandman comics, for instance -- so I’m glad I’ve finally gotten to both this year. I think I missed the comics train, unfortunately, but this was very readable and very creepy.
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |

Lovecraft, H.P.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bennett, MikeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seymour, PhilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre by H. P. Lovecraft

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by Howard Phillips Lovecraft

H. P. Lovecraft's The Haunter of the Dark, and Other Grotesque Visions by H. P. Lovecraft

The H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus 3: The Haunter of the Dark and Other Tales by H. P. Lovecraft

The Dark Worlds of H. P. Lovecraft, Volume 2: The Shadow Over Innsmouth / Dagon by H. P. Lovecraft

The Haunter of the Dark and other Stories by H. P. Lovecraft

Inspired

This is a short story, do NOT combine with the collection.

In the crumbling town of Innsmouth, Massachusetts, not all as it should be. During the winter of 1927-28 officials of the Federal government made a strange and secret investigation of certain conditions in the ancient Massachusetts seaport of Innsmouth. The public first learned of it in February, when a vast series of raids and arrests occurred, followed by the deliberate burning and dynamiting--under suitable precautions--of an enormous number of crumbling, worm-eaten, and supposedly empty houses along the abandoned waterfront. Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1890-1937) was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction, especially the subgenre known as weird fiction. As early as the 1940s, Lovecraft's work had developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a series of loosely interconnected fiction featuring a pantheon of humanity-nullifying entities, as well as the Necronomicon, a fictional grimoire of magical rites and forbidden lore. Stephen King called Lovecraft "the twentieth century's greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale."

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:53:42 -0400)

The Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Whisperer in Darkness are counted amongst H.P. Lovecraft's most popular stories. In the first we are transported to the decrepit coastal town of Innsmouth, whose amphibian-like citizens betray a dark and sinister secret. The second takes us to Vermont, where a university professor becomes embroiled in a mind- bending, celestial mystery after strange things are seen floating in the rivers. Dark, brooding and suspenseful, this is Lovecraft at his very best.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,520,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible