Bryony And Roses by T. Kingfisher

Bryony And Roses (edition 2015)

by T. Kingfisher

Bryony and her sisters have come down in the world. Their merchant father died trying to reclaim his fortune and left them to eke out a living in a village far from their home in the city. But when Bryony is caught in a snowstorm and takes refuge in an abandoned manor, she stumbles into a house full of dark enchantments. Is the Beast that lives there her captor or a fellow prisoner? Is the house her enemy or her ally? And why are roses blooming out of season in the courtyard? Armed only with gardening shears and her wits, Bryony must untangle the secrets of the house before she-or the Beast-are swallowed by them.… (more)
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Bryony And Roses
Authors:T. Kingfisher
Info:Red Wombat Tea Company
Collections:Working on, Temp working
Tags:!Amazon, Fic, SF, __make_cover, _import200202

Bryony And Roses by T Kingfisher

On her way home from a visit to the next town, Bryony is caught in a sudden spring blizzard. Sure that she will die in the storm, she is surprised to come upon an enormous manor house. She meets no occupant there, though food and fire and comforts are provided for her. When she starts to leave the next morning, the rose from her breakfast table tucked into her saddle bag, an enormous beast stops her at the door, demanding her future as forfeit for the theft of the rose. In one week, Bryony must return — and stay forever.

I do love Beauty and the Beast retellings, and this is a very good one. It has a great deal in common with Robin McKinley’s Rose Daughter, so if you enjoyed that one, you’ll probably like this one, too. I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Justine Eyre, whose talent is imminently suited for this sort of work. Fans of fairy tale retellings should certainly take note. ( )
1 vote foggidawn | Apr 4, 2019 |
This is a new adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, and it's an excellent one.

Bryony and her sisters, Holly and Iris, grew up as the daughters of a wealthy merchant--the wealthiest merchant in the land, he made sure everyone knew. After the death of their mother, though, their father grew more and more reckless in his investments, wand finally, when Bryony was fourteen, lost everything. Now the girls are living in a little cottage none of his creditors wanted, in the out-of-the-way village of Lostfarthing. Their father has died, taking one last risk that didn't pay off.

It's been three years, and the girls are eking out a living. Bryony has become a skilled and dedicated gardener. This dedication leads her to visit a neighboring village to get seeds from some particularly hardy rutabagas, and on the way home she is caught in a dangerous snowstorm. When she finds a manor house that shouldn't be there, she has little choice. Despite a rational fear of magic, she and her pony will die if she doesn't take refuge there. She doesn't meet the Beast until the net morning, when she attempts to leave with the beautiful, perfect rose that was on the table for her meals there.

We all know the basic story. Kingfisher plays with the complexities of it, giving us no only a smart, tough "beauty" and an alarming yet likable Beast, but a truly terrifying villain, and a kindly if sometimes prickly House. Even the relatively minor character of eldest sister Holly has depth and interest, and Iris, even though much less seen and heard from, has some texture and richness.

This is a really lovely rendition of an old favorite, well worth your time to either read or listen to. Recommended.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
An enjoyable retelling of Beauty and the Beast, substantially darker in some ways (especially with respect to the original Beauty) and lighter in others. Bryony is a gardener from a now-impoverished family; on her way back from getting some rutabagas, she encounters a manor where no manor should be. The manor is itself a character, with a different agenda than the Beast’s. I liked the changes that were worked on the basic story, including Bryony’s earthily realistic terror. ( )
  rivkat | Aug 8, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed T. Kingfisher’s retelling of the Snow Queen legend in The Raven and the Reindeer and was unable to resist this reworking of Beauty and the Beast. It’s a fairy tale I’ve always loved, ever since I was six years old and went to see the animated Disney film at the cinema for a friend’s birthday treat. There’s much to love about the traditional version, but Kingfisher’s story is delightful in a different way, offering a no-nonsense heroine, a Beast with a dry sense of humour, and brooding dark magic.

Intelligent and playful, this is a refreshing blend of canonical elements and new ideas, which keeps the story just different enough to hold you in suspense. This isn’t a story for children, not because of sex or violence, but because the underlying magic is very dark. But, for grown-ups, it offers a fresh new perspective on a familiar and much-loved tale, with a witty, intelligent and very unsentimental relationship at its heart. Definitely one to recommend for a quick, light read.

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2017/05/29/bryony-and-roses-t-kingfisher/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | May 31, 2017 |
This is a delightful retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

I was impressed that it did some different things with the original story without undermining the romance. I think that bringing new things to the table with this fairytale sometimes just takes too much time and focus away from the heart of the story, and that impacts how convincing and positive the eventual romance is.

That’s not the case here. Quite the opposite.

I loved the dynamic between Bryony and the Beast.

I was also impressed with the way Bryony and Roses is partly inspired by, and a response to, Robin McKinley's Rose Daughter, and yet it is clearly its own story. (It reminded me of a cross between Rose Daughter and another fantasy novel book about roses that I quite like and would mention by name if the connection didn't feel so spoilery.)

Bryony is a gardener, but she's particular sort of gardener, with a different relationship to roses. She is also, even though she lives in a pre-industrial kingdom, much more modern in her manner of speech and attitudes. I saw some reviews complaining about this, but I really liked it - this isn't trying to be historical fantasy so why not do something like that, something different?

“I did bring seeds,” she admitted. “But some of these plants are my friends. I wasn’t going to just leave them.” She ruffled her fingers through the lavender.
“Oh good,” said the Beast dryly. “Here I was afraid that I had kidnapped a sane person by mistake.”
1 vote Herenya | Sep 22, 2016 |

Was inspired by

For my mom, from whom I probably inherited the gardening thing.
She was going to die because of the rutabagas.
If our every wish is granted, we begin to invent work for ourselves, so that we have a thing that we have earned that is ours…
It was not that she was too furious to be afraid, it was that the fury was sitting on top of the terror and riding it like a horse.
That had always been her great gift and her besetting sin, that even in the darkest and most somber times, she had the urge to laugh.
The library did not trouble her the way that her bedroom did at night. There were too many books, and books were everyone’s friends.

A retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,383,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible