My Pantry: Homemade Ingredients That Make…

My Pantry: Homemade Ingredients That Make Simple Meals Your Own

by Alice Waters

Other authors: Fanny Singer (Illustrator)

A nice reference for anyone who wants to keep a pantry of homemade condiments and other staples. I'm not quite there (yet). This is a lovely little cookbook, though, that I have yet to really use, although Waters's advice is always valuable. ( )
  sturlington | Apr 8, 2017 |
This book is so inspirational! I was reading it at night when I had insomnia, and it was all I could do to stay in bed and not get up and cook stuff!

The recipes and text are both very straightforward- not at ALL fussy!- but complete, and all of them have exciting variations both in making them and in ways to serve them. Almost all of them can be done with minimal kitchen equipment, and they're designed for lasting- I think the shortest-lived ones would last maybe a week, refrigerated, but much last far longer.

It's definitely worth reading all the text rather than just diving into the recipes. Waters's thoughtful context makes the recipes themselves even more exciting.

Very recommended indeed for cooks who like some straightforward DIY that allows us to bring unique flavors to even simple dishes, made with excellent ingredients. ( )
  cissa | Dec 1, 2015 |
Has everything you need to make your own mixes,cheeses, preserves and much more! Easy to follow instructions, much needed recipes for any pantry. ( )
  mware1961 | Nov 13, 2015 |
The origins of progressive Western nutrition. ( )
  clifforddham | May 21, 2015 |

Alice Watersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Singer, FannyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080418528X, Hardcover)

In this sweet, petite collection of essays and recipes, Alice Waters showcases the simple building-block ingredients she uses to create gratifying, impromptu meals all year long.

In her most intimate and compelling cookbook yet, Alice invites readers to step not into the kitchen at Chez Panisse, but into her own, sharing how she shops, stores, and prepares the pantry staples and preserves that form the core of her daily meals.  Ranging from essentials like homemade chicken stock, red wine vinegar, and tomato sauce to the unique artisanal provisions that embody Alice’s unadorned yet delightful cooking style, she shows how she injects even simple meals with nuanced flavor and seasonal touches year-round.  From fresh cheeses to quick pickles to sweets and spirits, these often-used ingredients are, as she explains, the key to kitchen spontaneity when combined with simple grains, vegetables, and other staple items.  With charming pen-and-ink illustrations by her daughter, Fanny and Alice’s warm, inviting tone, the latest book from our most influential proponent of simple, organic cooking ensures a gracious, healthy meal is always within reach.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:50:51 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,946,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible