Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story…

Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires…

by Nathaniel Popper

I didn't pay much attention to BitCoin when it first came out. I've done a little web development over the years, but I'm not a coder. I've also had a curiosity surrounding encryption (when I taught middle school math, we had a unit on encryption), but again, am not an expert in the subject. But I think the main reason I didn't pay attention to BitCoin is that I'm a Luddite, and I have massive suspicion for any new technology, especially financial technologies (which I generally judge to be exploitative).

I recently started helping out on a friend's blockchain venture, and finally had to study up on this field. The vast majority of this research has been online, but I was hoping to supplement my research with some books. This was the only one I could find that comes strongly recommended.

The book was published two years ago, so it doesn't get into the recent Initial Coin Offering phase, or Ethereum and Smart Contracts. That said, it does cover the fascinating origins in 2008 up into 2014. Our author did a massive amount of research, and collated the seemingly-disparate threads into one unified narrative.

Somewhat surprisingly, BitCoin's origins aren't closely tied with Silicon Valley, and only recently has it really been gaining a foothold there. Additionally, even with BitCoin's meteoric rise, it still only has provisional support from the IRS and SEC, and hasn't yet been adopted by any American banks. It seems as though we're still in the very beginnings of the cryptocurrency era. ( )
  willszal | Aug 18, 2017 |
Beautiful insight into creation of Bitcoin and the thought process of the like minded creators of crypto-currency. Some chapters were quite boring to read and felt like had no (or very limited) connection to either the preceding or succeeding chapter. Nevertheless a good read. ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is an excellent overview of the history of Bitcoin and the many people involved with Bitcoin over the course of its creation and ascendance. Popper does an excellent job telling the human interest side of the story and leaves most technical details to the appendix. The book follows many individuals however the narrative abruptly stops with little to no conclusion about these individuals or the state of Bitcoin at the time this went to press. I also found the technical details lacking which was unfortunate since many questions about the technical details appeared in the book but were not mentioned in the appendix. ( )
1 vote pbirch01 | Jun 13, 2015 |

A New York Times technology and business reporter charts the dramatic rise of Bitcoin and the fascinating personalities who are striving to create a new global money for the Internet age.

Digital Gold is New York Times reporter Nathaniel Popper’s brilliant and engrossing history of Bitcoin, the landmark digital money and financial technology that has spawned a global social movement.

The notion of a new currency, maintained by the computers of users around the world, has been the butt of many jokes, but that has not stopped it from growing into a technology worth billions of dollars, supported by the hordes of followers who have come to view it as the most important new idea since the creation of the Internet. Believers from Beijing to Buenos Aires see the potential for a financial system free from banks and governments. More than just a tech industry fad, Bitcoin has threatened to decentralize some of society’s most basic institutions.

An unusual tale of group invention, Digital Gold charts the rise of the Bitcoin technology through the eyes of the movement’s colorful central characters, including an Argentinian millionaire, a Chinese entrepreneur, Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss, and Bitcoin’s elusive creator, Satoshi Nakamoto. Already, Bitcoin has led to untold riches for some, and prison terms for others.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 05 Jul 2015 21:49:19 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,003,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible