The Fourth Descendant by Allison Maruska

The Fourth Descendant

by Allison Maruska

The Fourth Descendant by Allison Maruska
This book starts out with a man contacting the others whose family also possessed a special key.
They are told to find it and they'd meet as a documentary film is to be created as they open the special vessel.
What I like about this is the action, adventure, travel to various places and just the thought of this book.
It's so believable that this could happen and I enjoyed reading it and following along as other events occur that bring them together, some closer than others.
Wish this concept was as easy to administer in today's world to help others.
Summary of other works by the author are highlighted at the end.
Received this review copy from the author and this is my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Aug 9, 2017 |
Another one I don't really know how to rate. Well . . . that's not really true. I know what I want to rate it. I just don't know what to write in here. If I had the ability . . . hmms. I'd rate it somewhere between 4.25 and 4.65. Maybe. Or, if I just had 1/2 stars to play with and not many decimal places, I'd just rate it 4.5.

I've had access to this book for a longish while now. But it took me a while to try it. Truth be told, the only reason I started it was because it was on my kindle. And I was in a train station with no access to the internet. And I wanted to read something. Some time in the seemingly distant past I had, somewhat randomly, added the book through Kindle Unlimited. So, when I wanted something to read . . . I randomly chose this book.

All that is kind of boring I know. I did say I didn't know what to say about the book. It isn't really the normal kind of book I read. It kind of falls into one those "conspiracy thriller" type categories. Which I don't read. And to which this book kind of falls, but not enough for me to be happy that I said that it kind of did. As someone who did like that probably would be confused by my inclusion of this book in that category.

A hundred years before the start of the book four individuals locked something in a safe in a court house in Virginia. There was no inherent reason any of these people would have known each other. At least, that's what the people who found the safe thought. It sounds like the beginning of a joke. A "chinaman", an "Irishman", an "Englishman" and an "ex-slave" walk into a courthouse. Insert joke here. Right, so the Asian fella, the immigrant from Ireland, the guy whose family came over and settled in Jamestown, and the ex-slave walked into a Richmond courthouse and locked something into a safe. A safe with four keys. Keys sent to their families to be safeguarded.

The story opens, as I noted, a hundred years later. A local historical group found the safe. Found the story about how four families locked the safe. And had, maybe, the keys. And set out to find these families, and the keys.

Four random people are reached. A young Asian-American mother of two, a young environmental scientist, a young musician with dreadlocks (that's the Irishman descendent), and one retired woman. These four strangers come together, mostly reluctantly, to find out what their ancestors left for them to find.

Took me a few days to get to the 43% mark, though after that I finished the rest of the book relatively quickly. Was a deeper, more emotional book than I excepted. A more satisfying book. I'd recommend it.

Not sure who I'd recommend it to, as I still don't know what categories to put it into. But I recommend it. Vaguely. Randomly. ( )
  Lexxi | May 21, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible