Ghostoria: Vintage Romantic Tales of Fright…

Ghostoria: Vintage Romantic Tales of Fright

by Tam Francis

7None1,138,814NoneNone

No reviews
“Ghostoria” by Tam Francis is a collection of 12 short stories that range from horror/suspense/supernatural and a range of time periods from modern to turn of the century. Even though, Francis describes her collection as “vintage romantic tales of fright”, I also recognized a thread of southern gothic underpinning each of the stories. She has the amazing talent to create unique and complex characters you’d like to follow for hundreds of pages. I was amazed at her versatility and found myself reading from the point-of-view of a ghost in one story or teenagers in another story. No matter where she takes the reader, you find yourself a guest in her worlds and imagination…if you’re brave enough to follow.

If you were ever a fan of Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, or looking for something to read to family around the campfire, I would highly recommend this tome of unique lore.

I’m going to mention a few of my favorite stories, but I urge you to buy the book and find out for yourself why Tam Francis is a writer to keep your eye on.

“Long Way Home” reminded me so much of Ray Bradbury’s voice and theme in his book ‘Something Wicked This Way Comes’ – two boys on the brink of manhood, free spirits in an age of innocence, whose worlds are shattered with a brush with evil. When I read Bradbury’s book, I remembered the anticipation and foreshadowing that builds throughout the story. This is a talent Francis also has in each of her stories, where I was on the edge of my seat trying to out-guess the plot and always ended up surprised. In Francis’ story, the boys take a shortcut through the cemetery and encounter death in its most tempting form.

My absolute favorite story is “Roadside Passenger”, which reminded me so much of a Twilight Zone episode, in that a woman picks up a suspicious crying hitchhiker with a promise to drive her down the road. I can’t reveal too much, but I loved this story so much!!!

Do you like scary stories with a little romance and a vintage twist? Welcome to Ghostoria.

What happens when a WWII secretary is trapped in the office with a ghost and the only way out is to make an unwelcome choice?

Drive-in movies, hot rods, and jitterbugs populate Long Way Home; can one young man survive a bloody night in a historic cemetery with his girlfriend?

Young residents of a cursed Texas town grapple with what they’re willing to sacrifice in order to save their crops, animals and loved ones?

Can a kindergarten teacher silence the talking doll that has frightened her students by solving a fifty year old mystery?

A lone lady hitchhiker hops a ride in a 1959 El Dorado Cadillac by a roadside grave. Who will be alive at the end of the drive?

Find out what happens when college coed gets more than she bargained for with her vintage swing dance dress.

A turn of the century jail that housed murderers, liars, and thieves for over a hundred years is taken over by six teenagers on Halloween. What happens when a childhood chant turns deadly?

Those are just a few haunts and haints that populate this world of unrequited love, woe and mystery. Ghostoria will gnaw the corners of your mind and challenge your ideas about life, love and death long after you leave.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:54:46 -0400)

Tam Francis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,325,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible