Marvel's Agent Carter: Season One…

Marvel's Agent Carter: Season One Declassified

by Sarah Rodriguez

191537,190 (4.63)None

I’ve been a fan of Marvel’s “Art of” books since “The Art of Marvel Studios” collection was released. The books are beautiful, high quality productions with gorgeous full color photos, artwork and background information. When Agents of SHIELD got its own book, it was wisely redefined as “Season 1 Declassified” rather than an art of book (since there isn't as much concept art involved). Agent Carter follows the same path.

I expected to be a bit disappointed with this book because Agent Carter only had 8 episodes to draw from as compared to SHIELD’s 22. And yes, this book is definitely shorter than SHIELD season 1, or any of the art books. And I I think the retail price should be lower to reflect that. Nevertheless, this book packs a lot into those pages and fewer episodes means an expected bonus– more in depth coverage of those episodes and how they were made. I had intended to merely flip through the book when it arrived but I became so engrossed I read it straight through.

The book opens with a charming foreword from Hayley Atwell, whose affection for the character she plays is strongly felt. Chapter one goes into detail on who Peggy is - from the various comic characters who inspired the final film character, to her supporting roles in the MCU films, and finally as the protagonist of her own series. Readers learn how the cast and crew were assembled (see what I did there? ;-), with pages for every significant character and the actor who plays them, and a decent amount of coverage on how the show was marketed. In fact, the art books could takes cues from this!

Chapter two goes through each episode in detail. This includes not only the basic plot, but how it affected Peggy’s character arc, small stories about the filming from the actors, and how it fit into the overall season. The episode coverage here is much better than the SHIELD season 1 book.

Chapter three goes behind the scenes of how the show was created, logistically. Stunts, lighting, editing, costume design, props, sound editing – they are all covered here. I liked this chapter the best because it had so much. A driving point is what a challenge it was to bring the show to the screen on a television budget. It quickly becomes apparent that Carter didn’t have anywhere close to the budget that SHIELD had/has. And, it’s all the more impressive what they accomplished as a result. Naturally, the book is filled with stunning photography of the cast and sets. The show has a deliberate vintage quality look, and the specifics of how that look was painstakingly created are fascinating. Chapter four closes out the book and is more of an afterword than a chapter.

Overall, this book was much better than I anticipated. Fans of the art books, or the SHIELD season 1 should enjoy Agent Carter. The book reminded me how much I enjoyed the show and am glad it was picked up for a second short season. Highly recommended. ( )
  jshillingford | Jul 7, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785197184, Hardcover)

It's 1946; the war is over, but Peggy Carter has new battles to fight as the men return home. The love of her life -Steve Rogers -is gone, and Peggy is pinned with administrative work at her new job in the covert SS R (Strategic Scientific Reserve). She finds solace in secret missions from Howard Stark -but the missions are more dangerous than she knows. Hayley Atwell reprises her role as Peggy Carter in the show inspired by Marvel's feature films Captain America: The First Avenger and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, along with the short Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter. In this collectible volume, go behind the scenes with production design, photographs and stills from the set -plus interviews with the cast and crew. Follow Peggy's journey in Marvel's Agent Carter: Season One Declassified as she navigates life as a single woman in an America still recovering from war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 11:39:34 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible