My Kind of Wonderful by Jill Shalvis

My Kind of Wonderful

by Jill Shalvis

Series: Cedar Ridge (Dec 2015 - book 2)

4.5 Stars

I enjoyed Hudson's story much more than I had anticipated. This is the second in the Cedar Ridge Series and personally, I found it better than the first. Bailey was a girl with a new lease on life and her attitude reflected that well. She was fun and sweet. Hudson was an independent guy who had so much on his plate he couldn't fit on one more.. but even so, he had Bailey on his mind right from the first time he saw her, and I loved it!

Neither of them wanted to accept a long term commitment, and I could understand this, but sometimes it felt like they were just saying the words because that's what they were used to or that's what they thought the other person expected. That said, I really liked how Shalvis ended the book. It wasn't what I expected and that was a nice surprise.

The Kincaids are indeed a crazy bunch, but also a strongly bonded family. I love the way the brothers interact with each other and I am really looking forward to Kenna’s story. At least I am hoping she will get one!

I am about to read Jacob's story. Should be interesting!

** I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review **

Original review posted at: http://paragraphsandpetticoats.blogspot.ca/ ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
Yet another awesome book by Jill Shalvis. This one is the second in the Cedar Ridge series, with Hudson Kincaid in the starring role.

Hud's a busy guy. Doesn't have time for a life. Between running the ski patrol and filling in as a part-time cop, he's lucky he gets time to sleep. But Hud is nothing if not dedicated. To his family, to those he loves. He shoulders the responsibility for his fractured family. The last thing he needs is one more person to worry about, but that's what he gets when his mother, suffering from Alzheimers, invites Bailey Moore to the mountain to paint a mural.

Bailey is three months cancer free and ready to live. Really live. After ten years fighting the disease that was meant to kill her, she is looking at a future for the first time. Her shining optimism cuts through Hud's brooding mantle of responsibility.

Ms. Shalvis nails this one, taking on a scary subject and looking into the heart of a cancer survivor. And Hud, yeah, she has a way of writing men that makes your mouth water. I wasn't so taken with Aidan in the first book in the series, but Hud... yep. This book is everything you'd expect from a Jill Shalvis novel. It tugs at your heart, it makes you laugh, with plenty of heat to keep you warm in the brittle cold of winter.

Karla.Brandenburg | Dec 12, 2017 |
Fantastic book, with plenty of love and laughter. Hudson is one of five siblings/half-siblings, four of whom work together to run the family ski resort. Hud is head of the ski patrol, also works a few shifts a month as a town cop, and takes care of his mother, who suffers from dementia. His plate is full to overflowing, leaving him little time or inclination for a relationship.

Bailey is a young woman with a desire to finally start living. She has been battling cancer for the last ten years, and is finally cancer free. She's ready to start doing all those things she could only dream about before. One of those things is to stretch her painting wings and paint a mural. Lucky for her, Hud's mother hires her to do just that. Since the mural is at a ski resort, she'll also take the chance to improve her skiing.

Bailey and Hud meet when she misreads the map and ends up at the top of the resort's most challenging ski run. Not being stupid, she doesn't try to go down that way, but a broken binding leaves her unable to leave. Hud gets a call about a stranded skier, and comes to the rescue. I loved their first meeting, as Hudson is blown away by her beauty and the sheer joy he sees on her face as she takes in the view. Bailey is pretty taken herself by the "mountain hottie", but she has no time or inclination for a relationship. Their second meeting is a bit more contentious as he shoots down his mother's job offer. I loved seeing his siblings get involved, and suddenly Bailey's going to be there on the weekends for the next couple months.

There is no denying the attraction between them, and pretty soon they are indulging in a fling with an expiration date. That suits them both fine at the beginning, but it isn't long before feelings move well past the fling stage - even though both try to resist it. Hudson is protective of Bailey without being smothering. He is caring, sometimes sweet and always sexy, and has a terrific sense of fun. I loved seeing that fun extend to Bailey. But he can also be brooding, grumpy and stubborn. He takes a lot on himself, including responsibility for things that he isn't really to blame for. These guilty feelings hold him back from fully giving himself over to what is happening between him and Bailey. Bailey is quite the firecracker. She's stubborn and tenacious, which helped her get through her illness. It also helps her get through her occasional moments of insecurity.

I loved the development of their relationship. Bailey has spent so long not letting anyone get truly close that her feelings for Hud really snuck up on her. I loved how she saw the man underneath, who stayed busy as a way to avoid thinking about the things that haunted him. I ached for her when she thought her feelings were not returned. I loved seeing Bailey knock down the walls around his heart "one smile at a time". It was fun to see the effects she had on him, and how everyone could see it except him. I wanted to shake him when he made that stupid comment at the end, and pushed her away. The ending was great, with both of them seeing their mistakes, and Hudson doing an amazing job of both groveling and expressing his feelings. The epilogue was sweet and showed just how far they both have come.

As always, the secondary characters in a Shalvis book are a huge part of the story. Hudson's family is great. The back story of how they all came together was moving. I loved their interactions as they alternately squabble and support each other. I really enjoyed the teasing as they poked each other over their various relationships. I also loved the support as Gray and Aidan helped Hudson see the truth of his feelings for Bailey and get past his feelings of guilt over other things. I also loved the continuation of the practical joke that made its appearance in the first book, and just when it happened in this one. I loved Hudson's mother. She's an incredibly sweet woman with a surprisingly strong will. I ached for Hudson during the times when her memory slipped back in time, but thoroughly loved the tidbits she dropped about his childhood. When she was in the present she was very observant and willing to speak her mind. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Mar 16, 2017 |
Sweet romantic tale of two people who need love and a connection with the world. He is an over worked, over burdened, guilt ridden hero to all. She is a survivor of cancer and is learning how to live expecting the next day to come.
Very enjoyable audiobook, excellent narration. ( )
  TheYodamom | Aug 21, 2016 |
Hmmm, there was something about this book that just didnt do it for me. It was still a pretty good read, but it almost seemed like everything fell into place when it was needed, and sometimes the dialogue was a bit over the top. I did enjoy the characters, though, and look forward to reading Jacob's story next. ( )
  Deserie.Comfort | Apr 8, 2016 |

Jill Shalvisprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, KarenReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Bailey Moore has an agenda: skiing in the Rockies, exploring castles in Europe, ballroom dancing in Argentina. Now that she has a second lease on life, she's determined not to miss a thing. What she doesn't realize is that item #1 comes with a six-foot-one ski god hot enough to melt a polar ice cap. She doesn't want to miss out on him either, but Hudson Kincaid isn't the type of guy to love and let go. And as gorgeous as Cedar Ridge is, she's not planning to stick around. As head of ski patrol at his family's resort, Hud thinks he's seen it all. But never has he run into someone like Bailey. She might look delicate, but her attitude is all firecracker. And her infectious joy touches something deep within him that he's been missing far too long. Now he'll just have to convince Bailey to take a chance on her biggest adventure yet...something rare and all kinds of wonderful.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,313,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible