Cherringham - A Lesson in Murder: A Cosy…

Cherringham - A Lesson in Murder: A Cosy Crime Series

by Neil Richards

421,664,912 (4.67)None
Recently added bypammycats, jenladuca, druidgirl

Cherringham - A Lesson in Murder
By: Matthew Costello and Neil Richards

I received a free e-ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This is a terrific mystery series. Jack (former NYPD detective) and Sarah (British web designer) team up to solve mysteries in their small English village. All of the books in this series are available only in electronic form. I looked them up on Amazon. Some of them are free and some you can buy for around 0.99 cents (American). I checked out the authors as well. Mr. Richards is British and Mr. Costello is American which perfectly mirrors the heroes in the book. This is an ideal collaboration and blends their styles seamlessly. I loved that we get alternating viewpoints - sometimes seeing things through Jack's eyes and sometimes get Sarah's perspectives. We also heard narrative through other characters.

The dialogue is crisp and keeps the action moving quickly. I loved the mixture of American and British speaking styles. I could practically hear them talking. This is a relatively short book (about 74 pages total) and so (like a good short story) every detail and nuance is important to the plot. The reader receives all the great mystery details without extraneous padding.

There is very minimal character development. I recognize, however, that this is a series and can/ should be viewed as an overall work of art. Take a look at Alexander McCall's "44 Scotland Street" series which first appeared as a newspaper serial. Not much growth in the characters each episode but overall (over time) people changed. I'm anxious to read all of these books to form a more educated opinion.

Overall I loved this quick, clever, brisk book. I highly recommend for cosy mystery fans or anyone who appreciates a well-done story. ( )
  pammycats | Oct 11, 2016 |
Another Jack and Sarah mystery to solve. This one is at an all girl's school where strange things have been happening. I can't wait to read the next one.

***I received this book in exchange for an honest review*** ( )
  druidgirl | Apr 30, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,011,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible