The Comfort of Black: A Novel by Carter…

The Comfort of Black: A Novel

by Carter Wilson

Pretty good. Gets convoluted in parts, with Hannah's circumstances rapidly changing over parts. But at the same time, I really empathized with her anger over it all, and not wanting to trust ANY of it. Ending was a little too tidy for me, though. ( )
  themjrawr | Dec 1, 2017 |
My original The Comfort of Black audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

When I initially read the blurb for this one, I was expecting some straightforward husband versus wife relationship drama, but it turned out to be far more complex and unpredictable.

Hannah and Dallin have a seemingly nice life, plenty of money due to Dallin's business, and they're trying to start a family. It's a far cry from Hannah's childhood with an abusive father. Still, her past has left marks, and she's in therapy and tends to drown her sorrows in plenty of alcohol. When Dallin becomes increasingly distant and mutters some terrifying things in his sleep one night, Hannah starts to wonder how well she actually knows her husband. When she is about to confront him, she meets Black, a mysterious stranger. Then Hannah's world falls to pieces and she finds herself on the run with Black.

The Comfort of Black was an utterly compelling psychological thriller from start to finish. I had no idea whom I could trust and how this would play out. It was full suspense and shocking twists. I had real problems putting this away for long enough to get some sleep. I just had to find out what would happen to Hannah. There was no padding, no slow parts, just suspenseful action, a tiny bit of romance, and a lovely epilogue that brought closure.

Carter Wilson has written two other books previously, which I've added to my list because I've thoroughly enjoyed his writing here.

Rebecca Roberts did an amazing job with the narration. I was in awe of her portrayal of the male characters, especially Hannah's father. Great job of making him sound menacing and evil. The various emotions were expressed so skillfully. You felt the protagonist's hurt but also her determination. Smooth and clear delivery. Absolutely flawless narration! Until I checked out the narrator's name on Audible, it hadn't clicked that I had actually listened to another of her books recently. That was a 5-star narration as well, but I think it speaks of her talent that I didn't recognize the voice here at all. She just seems to have an amazingly wide range of different personas she somehow manages to adopt and they then fit the particular book seamlessly. There were no issues with the production.

Fantastic audiobook! Highly recommended for thriller fans!

Audiobook was provided for review by the narrator. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Feb 24, 2016 |
***Review Copy***

Adrenaline spiked prose that leaves you itching to turn the next page ...Suspense and thrills at its best. ( )
  nubian_princesa | Dec 16, 2015 |

Though they seem to have everything, Hannah Parks has watched her husband, Dallin, become increasingly distant. Her hope is buoyed when the couple decides to start a family, but what Dallin reveals in his sleep one night rocks Hannah to her core. As she starts to investigate a much darker side of Dallin than she ever knew existed, Hannah peels away the layers of a diseased relationship closely tied to her own abusive past. When Dallin attempts to have Hannah abducted, she is forced to run, doing so with the aid of a man named Black--an ex-con and expert at helping people disappear. Together they must keep Hannah safe from her husband's far-reaching grasp, all the while trying to solve the mystery behind Dallin's sudden violence. Does Hannah's dark family history hold the key to her survival?… (more)

Oceanview Publishing

3 editions of this book were published by Oceanview Publishing.

Editions: 1608091295, 1608091473, 1608092224

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,711,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible