Watch Out for Flying Kids! How Two Circuses,…

Watch Out for Flying Kids! How Two Circuses, Two Countries, and Nine Kids…

by Cynthia Levinson

"To be, rather than to seem to be." Esse Quam Videre.
This was a great book about how kids can really lead the way at building relationships between groups of people who have historically kept themselves separated. It has a lot to teach us about children as activists and about how to build up common spaces. There are also interesting notes about gender roles and religion and the value of hard work. ( )
  CALammert | Apr 23, 2016 |
WATCH OUT FOR FLYING KIDS by Cynthia Levinson tells the true story of teen circus performers from varied backgrounds who come together to confront issues related to racism, tribalism, and other social obstacles.

Following nine circus performers in two different circuses, this fascinating work of nonfiction describes a unique arts education movement that brings together teens with varied backgrounds. The story is told chronologically over a ten year period ending in 2014.

The many photographs and other illustrations will draw student interest. Sidebars provide background information and insights into the book’s many interesting youth. Engaging section headings within the chapters reflect the thoughts of youth. The book includes a pronunciation guide, prologue, afterword, author’s note, and index in addition to the body of text.

Librarians will find the youth circus theme provides an fascinating context for exploration of social issues. Consider using this book as a focus point for a discussion of diversity. Combine this book along with others focusing on social issues as part of a nonfiction literature circle. Use maps along with other nonfiction books to help students understand issues related to racism and tribalism.

Published by Peachtree Publishers on September 1, 2015. Review copy courtesy of the publisher. ( )
  eduscapes | Oct 18, 2015 |
Cynthia Levinson is quickly becoming my favorite children's nonfiction writer. Her first nonfiction children's book, We've Got A Job, is the book I buy for birthday and holiday presents and the one I go to for inspiration and hope when I am hopeless about racial injustice. My 10 year old daughter loves it too. Here again, Ms. Levinson writes about children who are making change, while changing themselves. In vivid detail with compelling stories and lively photographs she shows how children across different racial, ethnic, and class backgrounds work together to perform social circuses. In Israel, Jewish and Arab children work and perform together and so do inner city and suburban kids in St Louis. During the summers they travel to each others country and they fuel each other's desire to become even better than they are. The book has an anthropological feel to it. Children are interviewed in detailed and followed across five years on two continents. We see them grown, make choices and become strong. We see when they struggle and when they triumph and we also learn how they manage to collaborate in the face of great differences between them, even in times of war (Gaza) or social unrest. Ultimately this is a book about social justice and what it takes to persevere in the face of persecution and enormous obstacles and how to count on each other and yourself. Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to review this book for an honest opinion. ( )
  Karen59 | Jun 29, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 156145821X, Hardcover)

The author of We've Got a Job explores the world of social circus-a movement that brings kids from different worlds together to perform remarkable acts on a professional level. Levinson follows the participants of two specific circuses that also work together periodically: Circus Harmony, in St. Louis, whose participants are inner-city and suburban kids, and Circus Galilee in Israel, whose participants and Jews and Arabs. As the kids' relationships evolve over time, the members learn how to overcome assumptions, animosity, and obstacles both physical and personal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:18:35 -0400)

"Explores the world of social circus--a movement that brings kids from different worlds together to perform remarkable acts on a professional level. Levinson follows the participants of two specific circuses that also work together periodically: Circus Harmony in St. Louis, whose participants are inner-city and suburban kids, and [Galilee Circus] in Israel, whose participants [are] Jews and Arabs. As the kids' relationships evolve over time, the members learn how to overcome assumptions, animosity, and obstacles both physical and personal"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible