Naughty Mabel by Nathan Lane

Naughty Mabel

by Nathan Lane, Devlin Elliott

Other authors: Dan Krall (Illustrator)

Series: Naughty Mabel (1)

A poorly-behaved French Bulldog who lives a life of privilege in the Hamptons narrates the story of her various (mis)adventures in this picture-book from celebrated actor Nathan Hale and producer Devlin Elliott. Mabel is the much-loved canine companion of her human parents, who pretty much let her do anything she likes, patiently picking up after her messes. Their one effort at discipline - excluding her from a swanky party they throw one evening - ends poorly, as Mabel emerges and causes catastrophe, destroying the house and driving all the guests away. Fortunately, Mabel's parents love her, no matter what...

I'm always a little bit wary of celebrity-authored picture-books, as they so frequently prove to be mediocre, a testament to the fact that what is driving their publication isn't the quality of the story (or, often times, the writing) but the fame of the author. That said, I actually found Naughty Mabel fairly engaging, in terms of story-telling and structure. I also thought that illustrator Dan Krall's artwork matched the zany, madcap humor of Mabel's doings. Unfortunately, although I didn't think this one was terrible, as a picture-book, I'm not terribly fond of the "naughty animal/child who always gets away with it" theme that seems so popular these days, especially when there don't seem to be any consequences at all, for the bad behavior depicted. Animals (and children) can be quite naughty, but it's poor ethical thinking (whether in fiction or real life) that maintains that there won't be any negative results. Compare Mabel's story to Nick Bruel's Bad Kitty books, where the eponymous feline behaves very badly indeed, and, despite never really being reformed, does suffer consequences as a result. Bruel's stories seem both more realistic, and more honest, than that penned by Lane and Elliott. I suppose this one will find an appreciative audience with parents and children who enjoy stories about misbehaving, but I think there are better options out there, that also fit that bill. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 2, 2018 |
Fantastic picture book. Everyone will get a kick out of the adventures of Mabel an adorably naughty French bulldog living a live of luxury in the Hamptons. The illustrations are gorgeous and adults will get a kick out of the celebrity 'cameos'. Cannot recommend enough.
  hillmeredith | Jan 18, 2017 |
This book is actually based on Nathan and Delvin's dog Mabel. Mabel is not as messy as Marmaduke. Yet he can be a cousin of Maramduke. Mabel is loved a bit too much, pampered a bit too much and when her owner's are away... watch out. Mabel is considered a naughty dog. And has the resume to go with it. Mabel's "issue" is what is good for his human's is good for her. Mabel sets out to prove this point time and time again with disaterous consequences, leading into a epic event involving her humans.

The authors and the illustrator Dan Krall created an extensive backstory for Mabel. And it works. I also love the introduction of her friends Smarty-Cat and Scaredy-Cat, who belong to Mabel's neighbor, a 360 of Mabel's human's. I hope that the next book in series has the cats featured in the story line.

But this book is about Mabel and no one else. And she has earned a spot in my heart. ( )
  seki | Nov 22, 2015 |
Mabel, a bulldog who lives with her humans in the Hamptons, is naughty. In fact, she's not just naughty, she's VERY naughty. She is constantly getting into trouble, but she can't help it, it's just in her nature.

What could have been a really cute book took an unexpected turn when the story turned to crude humor to get the last laugh. Honestly, I didn't feel that this in any way fit the tone of the rest of the book. It's unfortunate that someone of Nathan Lane's comedic genius would need to turn to something so banal, but here it is; this would have easily been a 4 or more star review from me otherwise.

Dan Krall's illustrations are full of whimsy and overall, the story was quite charming, espousing the importance of acceptance, family, and love. If it weren't for that one unnecessary turn, this book would have been perfect for me. Hopefully in the next book, Lane and Elliott won't feel the need to reduce the comedy to potty humor. ( )
  tapestry100 | Sep 29, 2015 |

Nathan Laneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elliott, Devlinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Krall, DanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 148143022X, Hardcover)

A pampered pup takes center stage at her parents’ party in this charmingly hilarious picture book from film and Broadway star Nathan Lane (of The Lion King and The Producers fame) and Devlin Elliott!

Meet Mabel, the fanciest French bulldog the Hamptons have ever seen. Mabel is many things: sassy, classy (and sometimes a bit gassy!), but especially...naughty! Mabel’s always getting herself into trouble—and with style like hers, can you really blame her? When Naughty Mabel’s parents throw a party and try to leave her out of the fun, of course she must take matters into her own perfectly pedicured paws. As the hilarity ensues, Mabel and her parents learn that through thick and thin, naughty or nice, they’ll always be a family, just as they are.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 12 Aug 2015 19:42:19 -0400)

"Mabel, the fanciest and sassiest dog the Hamptons has ever seen, causes all sorts of chaos for her parents with her naughty hijinx"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,918,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible