Lana's World: Let's Go Fishing!…

Lana's World: Let's Go Fishing! (Green Light Readers Level 2)

by Erica Silverman, Jess Golden (Illustrator)

Series: Lana's World

121768,668NoneNone

The author of the popular and imaginative Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa series returns with a new easy reader series.

Lana would really like someone to go fishing with her, but everyone is too busy. So she retires to her room to go "fishing" by herself. No sooner is she settled down in the "boat" than her family sees how much fun she is having and one by one they join her. Finally, Furry the dog joins them and they enjoy being together in their imaginary adventure until Lana decides she's done fishing for the day.

What I really love about this easy reader was the watercolor illustrations. They reminded me a little of Julia Denos, of whom I am quite a fan. Lana might or might not have darker skin - it's hard to tell - but she's definitely darker than her siblings, possibly taking after her mother. I loved how her bedroom turns into the lovely lake and each family member adds another splash of color to the scene.

The story itself is what I'd expect from Silverman. Lots of imagination, if not completely believable (I have a hard time seeing any family spending significant amounts of time sitting on a bed pretending to be fishing). But it's a lovely story and the imagination and art are attractive. The text is nicely laid out, not hidden by the illustrations which it narrates, and fits in well with a level 2, intermediate easy reader.

Verdict: This will make a nice additional purchase for your easy reader section, if you're looking for more stories featuring actual families.

ISBN: 9780544106529; Published 2014 by Green Light Readers/Houghton Mifflin; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Dec 5, 2015 |

Erica Silvermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Golden, JessIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

When little Lana pleads “Let's go fishing!” to Papa, Mama, Jay, and Ray, everyone declines, even Furry, the dog. They are all too busy doing other things. But that's not enough to stop the imaginative Lana from having her own adventure and reeling in the whole family. Welcome to Lana’s World!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 09 Jul 2015 08:04:08 -0400)

Unable to interest her parents, her brothers, or even her dog in going fishing with her, Lana creates her own boat and lake in her bedroom and soon has all the company a girl could want.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,153,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible