The Heart has its Reasons: Looking Back,…

The Heart has its Reasons: Looking Back, Looking Ahead

by Ignatius Fernandez

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added byNoLabelsUnleashed

Note: This work was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. The full version of this review can be found on The Review Board.

I am going to address this from a few different perspectives.

(1) As a person who is strong in his/her spiritual journey

(2) As a person who has faith but lost his or her way during some type of mishap

(3) As a seeker of a religious home, overall guidance, or other readers

I’m going to combine #1 and #2 because my statement does address both of them. I think for both of those groups, the author’s book serves a great purpose. It uses statements from other great philosophers and writers, along with Bible verses, to tackle real life scenarios and situations that can be challenging to the overall spirit.

Now on to perspective #3.

Please keep in mind that my thoughts on this work does not serve as advocacy for or against any kind of spiritual or religious teachings.

Presentation wise, I would have preferred the start of the chapters actually begin on a brand new page. Also, there were opportunities for better sentence structure and improved comma usage.

In addition, I would have liked a bibliography page to show references to a few of the great quotes used throughout the book that were not in the Bible. That way, if a person wanted, he or she could check out these publications afterward.

For me, the lessons provided in the author’s work ring not so different that what I have read in other works, such as the writings of Iyanla Vanzant (my favorite being “In the Meantime”). The only variation is that I do not see enough of Mr. Fernandez’s own personal testimonies to correspond with the depth of the content. It would have provided a deeper resonation had he done so. In addition, for those who are not familiar with the Bible or have not read the contents, sharing the trials associated with his heart could serve as a further beacon of light to bring new followers to the concept of Christianity.

Verdict: 3.25 out of 5 (putting this at a 3)

I applaud the author for what he is trying to do with The Heart Has Its Reasons. I was just looking for a bit more of the author’s own heart in this work and for it to be more of a blend between teaching and testimony, as opposed to being heavily self help told with a outsider like ambiance.
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,757,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible