Smiling in the Storm:20 Moving Stories of…

Smiling in the Storm:20 Moving Stories of AIDS Patients who Defied the…

by James E. Mutumba

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byNoLabelsUnleashed

Note: This is based on the copy submitted to me by the editor in exchange for an honest review.

With this book, edited by James E. Mutumba, I had to approach it a bit differently. First, because it dealt with accounts from twenty different individuals sharing their battle with AIDS. I definitely commend the bravery it must have taken to share their tribulations to assist and help others. Second, because of the common thread that joins these stories outside of the illness—the power of accepting Jesus Christ into one’s life to smile, not only in the storm, but through the storm.

Taking my own philosophy about religion out of the equation, this collection is a demonstration to the following:

~The power of prayer assists in the direst of situations
~It is important to have a support group in one’s corner
~Acceptance of Jesus Christ into one’s life assist in forgiveness and provides a positive outlook in dealing with the present
In this particular work, abstinence is the only surefire way to avoid catching AIDS

All of the accounts really tugged at my heart.

Now looking at the visual composition of the book, there were things I felt needed improving. Some are more preference while others I feel should be implemented for ease of the read.

(1) I would have preferred in the table of contents that a symbol guide have been used as opposed to typing out “pseudonym”, “true name” and “forename”. Something similar to this:

* Pseudonym
** Forename

Anything that didn’t have those variations of symbols next to it, the reader could assume that the actual full name was being used since the editor did indicate previously that not all people would be using their actual names in the accounts. For me, it would have made the appearance a bit cleaner.

(2) Underneath the beginning of each chapter, I would have liked the person’s name and date of testimony at the start rather than the end. Since all accounts are in first person, I could quickly match a name to the narrator if all is in the front. Like this:

One
How My Calamity Was Eased
Lydia (August 1993)

(3) In a few spots, the phrasing was a bit awkward. Yet perhaps most of it could be dismissed as being translated from one language to another. For instance,

“…One of our women staff is down with AIDS and…” (from page 10)

In American slang, “is down with” means “in agreement” or “in support”. Yet, what the person is really trying to say is this:

“One of our women staff is (“infected”, “sick”, “suffering”) with AIDS and…” (No ellipses needed at the beginning of the sentence as well.)

(4) In spots, there was some punctuation misplaced (page 16, 17, 23 for starters), and some words here and there that were not needed (like “a wrong timing” instead of “wrong timing”). They didn’t fully detract from the read but they were noticeable enough to mention.

(5) Little footnotes were in strange places—the middle of the text to be exact. For instance, this sentence:

Later in the text, on the next page, was the footnote: *Former Zaire is now called the Democratic Republic of Congo—editor”

This was placed right smack dab in the middle of this sentence: “He looked at me without winking and said, “Your blood has been found to be reactive.”

To avoid interruption of reader flow and rhythm, I would like to present these two solutions:

(A) To put this side note near the bottom of the page where it is being mentioned. The reference to Zaire was mentioned on page 26 of the copy I received from the author. The editor’s note should have been mentioned on the exact same page just above the number 26.

* Editor’s Note: Zaire is now called the Democratic Republic of Congo. (The word “former” isn’t needed when the word “now” is mentioned to signify transition or a new name.)

(2) Or, if one didn’t want to go through the trouble to place it at the bottom, place the Editor’s Note in parenthesis ( ) right after the statement:

“Being a business woman trading between Uganda and Zaire*, she tricked me and my three brothers by inviting us to become her business partners, but on condition that we took the HIV test.” (*Editor’s Note: Zaire is now called the Democratic Republic of Congo.)

(6) The emphasis of important points through bold and highlights: This point is more for style than anything. During points where certain phrases were placed within in the narratives, I think they should have been made bold at that first moment of statement, as opposed to being repeated, put in bold and highlighted. It detracts from the novel like readability of the work.

Or, if the editor wanted to put this together in a self help type of construct, it would have been nice to put the takeaways (the parts he really felt needed highlighting) towards the end of each story. Kind of like “The moral of the story is…” type of setting. I didn’t like them being repeated while I was trying to soak in each person’s struggle.

Unleashed Verdict: 4 out of 5 Stars

Visual hiccups aside, I am glad James E. Mutumba shared these heartwarming stories and hope in the future he will put together even more collections that outline other aspects of the AIDS epidemic. ( )
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible