the daily THANKS: A daily reminder of the…

the daily THANKS: A daily reminder of the countless blessings in our…

by Zen Thai

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added byNoLabelsUnleashed

Kudos to the premise behind this work as well as the colorful illustrations next to each devotional. Yet there were certain things that prevented me for giving this advocacy of thankfulness a full five star rating.

1. Not fully culture inclusive

Although I could relate and identify with a lot of the author’s viewpoints, I had to also think in terms of other people and their cultures and locations. There could be some lines of thanks which they may not be able to understand because they are not from America. A work of thanks should strive to include everyone: no matter what his or her location may be.

2. Some that may be “thanks” to some may be “no thanks” to others.

Here are a few examples that stood out, and I may make reference to myself when making these points:

(a) In reference to family (“mother”, “father”, “sister” and “brother”): In my situation, I didn’t know my mother or my father. I was raised by my grandparents instead. Since I was the oldest in the family, I did not get the opportunity to know my other siblings since the majority of them lived with my mom. Should I be less thankful because my family structure was different?

In addition, what if there was incest in the family? Should one still be thankful for that particular family member who did it?

(b) Having all of one’s limbs: There are people I know who were born without limbs or lost a limb during service in the military. Should they be less thankful although all limbs aren’t accounted for?

(c) Being thankful for “sugar”: Sugar is bad news for one who is diabetic.

(d)Being thankful for “penicillin”: If one is allergic to penicillin, then being thankful is the last thing on a person’s mind.

(e) Bras: Don’t get me wrong! My titans need all the lift, separation and support they can get. But there are women out there who don’t believe in wearing bras or find bras to be uncomfortable. Despite their preferences, I don’t think they should be any less thankful because of that.

I know the author meant to provide an overall good feeling but some of the things inserted made me chuckle, like “Why is this in here?” or “Was the author running out of ideas since coming up with 365 of them could be challenging?”.

Overall Verdict: 3 out of 5 Stars.

I applaud the overall message: to be thankful. Yet I believe the author went a bit too superficial and tangible with a few of the items to be thankful for. This work would have been more effective if detail and emphasis was given to the intangible. For being thankful is universal and meant to be felt by everyone. ( )
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,903,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible