The King's Ransom (The Bewildering…

The King's Ransom (The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam) (Volume…

by Devorah Fox

212,551,640 (5)None
Recently added bydevorah_fox, NoLabelsUnleashed

Extended review can be found on The Review Board

Disclaimer: Baby spoiler.

The King’s Ransom begins with Robin still coming to terms with his loss as well as how to proceed. In the beginning chapter, this part seemed slightly repetitious and bordered on the point of annoyance. This drawback diminished once the author really started to paint out the narrative, and I was able to forgive the first chapter’s overbearance.

I really love how this author is able to take the situations from this fantasy write and tie them into struggles with modern times:

The Differential Between A Parent’s Dream and A Child’s Dream

Although Robin wants Conrad to follow in his footsteps, he is happy yet dismayed to discover his son in a monastery. He’s happy to have found his son, yet isn’t one hundred percent pleased at his son’s profession. The author really took the time to describe Conrad, and I could feel that Conrad is happy and at peace with his decision. Conrad respects his father enough to go back to rebuild but he did it in his own way. It does put Robin and Conrad at a crossroads. Robin is resolute in his belief that Conrad has all the tools to be the next king while Conrad is perfectly content to serve his spiritual king. This was one of the conflicts that kept me invested in the story.

I Dub Thee Knight Meeyou

If there was a degree that stated that animals could be knighted, I demand that the honor is bestowed upon Meeyou. Meeyou is still my favorite character in this series. Smart, loyal, and courageous! I loved the scene at sea when the sailors were doing battle with the Kraken. Meeyou is braver than most men, and she constantly saves Robin (with no hesitation) again and again.

The Maturity of Robin

The ordeals of Robin makes me think of the line, “Someday this pain will be useful to you.”

Robin has come a long way. He knows what it is like to be a servant (on the other side of the hierarchy). He has gone through the pain of losing his riches and regaining them. Through his adventures, he has grown in the way he has treated people who have served him and slowly coming to grips that his sons aren’t exactly in his image, referencing the different paths each decided to take.

Although he has moments where he can be snobbish, overbearing, and intense, at his core, he is a father who wants the best for his sons. He is a king that is tough yet just, which is why he does get the respect from his fellow servants. He is a person who is very skilled in many aspects and can pass on his teachings to others.

I hope Robin continues to grow as more layers get added to this rich narrative.

The variety in conflict, very interesting characters, tidy resolution, and the vivid settings makes The King’s Ransom an overall win. For fantasy and adventure that pulls you in and makes you not want to escape, I highly recommend this work.

NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |

When those you have loved and lived for betray you, how do you go on? Book Two of the acclaimed "The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam" series finds Robin, the hero of "The Lost King," at sea both literally and figuratively. At first directionless and purposeless, he determines to reunite with his sons and with them restore his shattered kingdom but Fate has different plans for the lost king. Driven far from his home in the Chalklands, Robin pits his will against a dragon, a fortress's duplicitous and deadly guards, high winds on the open water, and a horrifying sea monster only to meet his most formidable opponent.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:04:54 -0400)

Devorah Fox is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,218,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible