Red Desert - Point of No Return (Red Desert,…

Red Desert - Point of No Return (Red Desert, #1)

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byNoLabelsUnleashed

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The author has a wonderful way of using imagery to really make you feel as if you are a part of the answer. Even if your primary genre to read isn't science fiction, all of the scenes are depicted in a way to where you can understand what happens without the need for a glossary in terminology.

The author wasted no time with incorporating action. It was present at every turn and gave the real urgency of "What happens next?".

I found myself at odds with Anna's character. It reminds me of a Southern phrase, "Being so smart that you're stupid." Anna is a smart cookie and her achievements definitely mirror that. Yet when it comes to human interaction she displays immense moments of naivety. Although it makes her human, it borders slightly on unrealistic. I struggled between feeling sorry for her and wanting to say, "You didn't really see that coming?"

There were a few areas that kept this book from receiving five star:

This is the type of work that you should read in one setting: uninterrupted. I emphasize the last word because if you happen to get distracted or think you can just pick up where you left off, it isn't that simple, which leads me to my next deterrent.

Faulty indicator in scene separation: The author decided to use double line spacing as a way to separate scenes. However, with some reading applications this method isn't enough warning. As a result it took a few seconds for me to gauge certain scenes were flashbacks. Without a clear marking, it was a slight struggle to immediately get back into the action.

When I was first pulled away from the read, rather than continue from that point forward, the decision was made to start the read from scratch.

I would recommend a better scene separator or if she doesn't want to do that, transitional wording to indicate that the shift from past time to present time is happening.

The final drawback to the full enjoyment was the resolution. There wasn't really one. I was getting into the thick of the action when it got cut off in limbo. For me, this could have been tidier, just in case a reader were to decide not to continue to the next book.

Verdict: 3.5 but plot, action, and dialogue served to round it to 4. ( )
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,376,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible