Strong Enough by Ellen Harger

by Ellen Harger

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byNoLabelsUnleashed

Disclaimer: Slight spoilers.

For the full, extended review, please go to The Review Board.

I wanted to point out some opportunities before going into the things I liked so much about this work.

Opportunities:

Hook: Through the first part of the book, the interest did not stay at anticipatory level. Although you get drawn back towards the middle of the book, you almost get lost on Whitney being the main character because of the dynamics of the supporting cast.

Spotty development of main character: Although Whitney is the main character of Strong Enough, I felt she didn’t get enough spotlight in terms of her progression into becoming a more self assured person until the very end. I would have liked her emotional and mental development to have been similar to what was done with Sadi in regards to pacing.

Staccato rhythm in pace and style: The concerns I have about the pace and style echo the ones I have about the hook. I like the pacing from the middle to the end but wanted it to be incorporated throughout the book.

The many strengths:

Flawless grammar and punctuation: If there were any grammar or spelling errors, I definitely didn’t see them. In one part of the novel, there was some extra spacing in spots but definitely not enough to detract from enjoyment of the book.

Creative titles: I think using song titles for chapters was a very cute touch and fit the alignment of Whitney being a DJ.

Descriptiveness of locations (really felt like I was there) and relating to the conflicts: I really enjoyed how descriptive the writer was in regards to the places in the novel: Sundown, itself; Well Fed Head (I think the bookstore name is cute); O’Malley’s, just to name a few. In addition, it’s easy to place myself on the emotional roller coasters, particularly Whitney’s internal debate after the incident with the condom breaking or Sadi’s battle concerning her feelings for Marc.

Excellent supporting cast: The writer does an awesome job with developing the supporting characters. Sadi stuck out the most. I found myself liking Sadi. Sadi tells it like it is and is pretty no-nonsense while I had moments when I would look at Whitney with a mixture of hope (“Please take advantage of the opportunity) and exasperation (“Just do the damn thing already”). My disdain for Leah remained throughout the story, and I absolutely loved Marc.

I hope to see more from this author, particularly a sequel to Strong Enough, for it will make the abruptness of the conclusion have meaning:

1. How does Whitney fare as DJ Whit?
2. What happens between Sadi and Marc?
3. What emotional shifts happen with Gabe?

I would definitely tune in to find it out.
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,988,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible