The Gentle Man (Love Eternal 1) by Michelle…

The Gentle Man (Love Eternal 1)

by Michelle Montague Mogil

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byNoLabelsUnleashed

Warning: Slight Spoilers

“Four scant weeks ago, I was given the choice between an extraordinary existence and a life of mediocrity…As a consequence, I am now attempting to justify that decision, explaining to myself and to a number of other people, how I managed to get where I am now.”

Those lines in Chapter One made me want to learn more.

The author did a wonderful job of ensuring a level of excitement in practically every chapter. This made you want to turn the pages and find out what happens next. One of the parts that stood out the most was towards the end: the final confrontation between Rachel (the obsessed with immortality caretaker), Domm (the vampire), and Anastasia. I thought the ending was going to go one way, but it took quite a turn that was very shocking, yet sets up the scenario for the next installment.

I’m a fan of Anastasia’s sense of humor. There were things she did which made me chuckle yet I know people around me who have done some of the same things. She is a part-time bartender on the side, and every once in a while when things get rough, she sneaks in a drink. Sure, one isn’t supposed to be doing it on the clock, but it is understandable why it can be a bit tempting. Also, her primary job is about to lay her off, so her attitude towards them is less than stellar, which seemed very real to me.

I’m very pleased with the presentation of the print material—it had very little wrong with it in terms of spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

There are a lot of great things about this book but there were certain aspects that kept me from reaching maximum enjoyment.

Despite Anastasia’s situation and her sense of humor, I found her to be annoying as the chapters progressed. I was willing to excuse the initial naivety concerning Domm the Vampire, but as more evidence surfaced, I feel like her struggling to come to grips with it was a bit dragged out. It also stunned me how quickly she was willing to turn her back on her husband and her children to give into Domm the Vampire. I was hoping maybe she was hypnotized into being with him so quickly but when I discovered he didn’t really do that to her, it made me question if she really loved her husband as much as she claimed. I found myself feeling Ethan’s pain and wanting to know how he was struggling, knowing that he was losing his wife, wishing that the writer would have expounded more on his struggles as well as Anastasia’s.

Considering I’m a fan of vampire literature, I really wanted a great visual of how Domm looked, yet besides the description of his skin and his eyes, I couldn’t really get a good gauge on how he looked.

Overall, I recommend this:

1. For someone who wants to see an atypical main character—in the form of an older lady heroine.
2. For non-stop action
3. For vampire literature with huge dosage of comedy as opposed to romance

Extended review can be found on ChickLit Pad as well as The Review Board.

Book Review: The Gentle Man

The Review Board on The Gentle Man

Side Note: Technically, it's 3.5 stars out of 5, but since I see no half star option, this is closer to a 4 than a 3.

NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,849,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible