Drawing Fire (Cold Case Justice) by Janice…

Drawing Fire (Cold Case Justice)

by Janice Cantore

Drawing Fire is book one in Cold Case Justice series by Janice Cantore. As soon as I started reading this book I didn't want it to end. I love how the author put her own law enforcement background in the making of this book. It is so authentic and not your typical cheesy police thriller. This book is well written and grabs your attention with all the twists and turns. You feel like you are at the scenes with Abby and Luke trying to solve this case.
Abby has earned a nickname "Superglue". She doesn't give up until its solved. She has principles and she adheres to them. Her fiancé, Ethan is not happy because she is constantly putting herself in harms way. But as you read you realize that this is who Abby is and something may have to give. She lost both of her parents at the age of six to a homicide that still hasn't been solved. This is what drives her and is haunted by it everyday.
A possible serial killer that is stalking elderly women brings Luke Murphy, a PI into her life. He actually witnessed the suspect flee the scene. They soon begin to work together much to her dismay at first. She thinks he is arrogant but face it what PI isn't?? Oh and he is handsome just FYI.
They each have faith that helps them deal with different aspects not only of their personal lives but their work. This is a wonderful crime thriller that will have you begging for book two.
I recieved this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review. ( )
  Penny_Burns_Marks | Mar 15, 2016 |
There is a serial killer targeting elderly people in Long Beach , California. The investigation is headed up by Luke and Abby. There is a connection between the two that still haunts Abby . Will this investigation lead to solving the case of a fire that killed her parents? Will they be able to Stop the serial killer before the body count starts stacking up? Abby is determined to see this to the end but someone wants to stop her. Who is this person and what do they have to gain from stopping Abby? I loved it when Abby said, "Letting go feels like giving up."

It's a race to try to keep one step ahead of the serial killer, but obstacles seem to keep getting in the way. The author is well versed in police proceedings and makes the story very believable. The characters work well together and I liked how they slowly began to trust each other as the story continued. It's nice to read a story with strong characters, scenes that are riveting and details that are precise.

This is another power packed adventure from an author that always delivers the best in suspense. I could not put this book down from the moment I read the first page. It grabs you from the beginning and brings you to a heart pounding ending that you won't soon forget.

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Feb 23, 2016 |
This was a fantastic first book of a series. I loved the story and look forward to the next book in this series. I love Abby Hart and Luke Murphy. Will they ever get together or will they find others? Can they solve the long ago deaths of her parents and his uncle. Will Luke stay a PI or will he get to work on a team to solve cold cases. I received this from bookfun.org for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Feb 19, 2016 |
Drawing Fire by Janice Cantore, a retired police officer, loses no time in drawing the reader into the drama. What begins as a story of a serial killer stalking elderly women evolves into a complicated quest to locate the perpetrators of a 27 year old arson/murder case. Unfortunately, the people most interested in the case are Abby, a police officer but daughter of the deceased, and Luke, a PI and nephew of the third dead person. Opposing them seems to be everybody from Abby's boss to the governor. What is the truth, and can Abby uncover it before the body count rises to include herself?

Janice Cantore's experience in the police department makes this a very realistic drama. Faith is evident in Luke's changed lifestyle, and begs the question for Abby: can you follow an obsession such as a need for justice and still trust the outcome to God, or are the two mutually exclusive? Are some professions,like Abby's, so full of grit that they can't bring glory to the Lord, or is there a way to help others and in doing so, please God?

Warning: if you pick up this book, be aware it's the first in a series. Look for the next book in the Cold Case Justice series and more answers this spring.

I gratefully received this book from bookfun.org in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Becky_L | Feb 18, 2016 |
Janice Cantore, a former Long Beach police officer of twenty-two years, is a well-established author of suspense but her books are – I’m embarrassed to say – new to me. Her newest release, Drawing Fire, was the first book of hers that I have read; it will most definitely not be my last! The suspense was sharply focused and action-packed, the characters were well-developed and likeable, and the faith element felt natural and ingrained. I was entertained from beginning to end … except that I wasn’t ready for it to be the end and kept frantically hitting my iphone with my finger until I accepted that you can’t turn pages that just aren’t there. A perfect setup for this first book in a new series!

On the job, Abby Hart comes across as a tough-as-nails, no-nonsense detective. And she totally is. But I loved how Ms. Cantore also gave Abby a soft side – she loves Oreos and milk, she caves to a homeless dog, she feels insecure in romantic relationships, and sometimes she just has to cry. To me, this made Abby all the more “cheer-on-able”. (Do you like my new word? Webster’s peeps should be calling any minute.)

Abby’s relationship with both Ethan and Luke gave the book some great romantic tension. Who is better for her? The man she’s known most of her life, the one who encourages her to keep some perspective besides her parents’ case, the one who proposed? Or the man who makes her heart flutter inopportunely, the one who understands how she feels about her parents’ case, the one who can’t stop thinking about her? I thought her struggle was extremely realistic – how to reconcile the feelings she had for Luke while still being true to Ethan – and I appreciated that Ms. Cantore respected Ethan enough to make sure Abby did too.

But overall, the romance plays a very small role in Drawing Fire. The star of the show here is the suspense! Screen-worthy action and fight scenes are riddled throughout the story, and several smaller cases bulk up Abby’s case load while she tries to piece together the newly revealed clues in her parents’ murders. While the book slowed in some parts, you really can’t relax ever. Blink and you’ll miss a stunning twist. (On a side note: another point in this author’s favor is that, while there are many police terms and procedures mentioned, I never felt lost and I never felt like I was reading a law enforcement textbook. It had just the right balance of information to advance the plot without drowning me in details.)

Drawing Fire is an excellent read – full of action, mystery, romance, and an underlying message of leaving room for God’s justice before we obsess over meting out our own. I give it 4 out of 5 stars and am waiting anxiously for any word on book 2 in the series to answer my lingering questions!

(I received a copy of this book from Tyndale House Publishers and Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.)

Read more here: https://readingismysuperpower.wordpress.com/2015/06/20/review-drawing-fire/ ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |

Homicide Detective Abby Hart's parents were murdered and the restaurant they owned set on fire while she was inside-- and only six years old. When an elderly woman with ties to Abby's past becomes a victim of a possible serial killer stalking elderly women in her jurisdiction, the only link is Luke Murphy, an irritating private investigator who saw a suspect flee the latest scene. Together they delve deep into the past to find out what happened-- and how they can right the injustices that have plagued them both for so long.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible