The Mysterious Disappearance of the…

The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy (Bibliomysteries)

by Elizabeth George

185561,019 (4)2

Sometimes a story just hits all the right buttons... A librarian with the magic power to enable people to literally visit the worlds conjured up by their favorite books? There was no chance I wasn't going to love it.

Sometimes having a mystical power comes with more baggage than anticipated. Jane Shore, known throughout elementary school for her talent, leaves her small town and reinvents herself as hippie/traveller Annapurna. But a library job lures her back 'home' - where (after a comedic scene fully worthy of Connie Willis) an old acquaintance pushes her into trying to cash in on her abilities.

This is a fantasy, but it's got the bones of a cozy mystery.

And... I can't say too much, but if you're a fan of Dorothy Sayers, you HAVE to read this story. HAVE TO, I say!

Many, many thanks to Open Road Media and NetGalley for the opportunity to read. As always, my opinion is solely my own. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Funny and literate. Perfect for an evening with tea and cookies. Ever wish you could take a little vacation in your favorite book. Annapurna knows how and dramatically alters her home town on Whidby Island.
  benjclark | Jan 15, 2016 |
This was a fine and fun novella. If like me you like to go to where the story is based, you will love this book. Good story line and great characters.

***I received this book in return for an honest review*** ( )
  druidgirl | Aug 20, 2015 |
I just finished The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy by Elizabeth George. That is quite a title for a short book. Janet Shore was the sixth child born and was very sickly throughout her childhood. When she was home sick, she was provided with many books from the local library. This is when Janet discovered her talent. She could go into the books (Janet would actually go into whichever scene in the book she wanted and participate). Janet discovered she needed three things to go into a story: emotional or physical connection to the book, solitude (difficult to find at her house), and a tether or anchor to the world (dog and leash). Janet then spent many afternoons immersed in her stories. She could go into any scene and take part (like having tea with the White Rabbit). One day a girl in school did not believe something in a book, so Janet decided to show her. Janet took Monie Reardon until the little shed she had found in the cemetery. Monie was then transported into the book with Janet. Unfortunately for Janet, Monie had a big mouth. Soon Janet had a line of friends who wanted to go into books. Janet had principles. She would not take them into just any books (preferred the classics).

One day Janet went off to college and fell in love. Janet thought love would be like in her books, but she was soon disappointed (he was a cheater). Janet did not return to her home town for fifteen years. She received a letter from Monie Reardon Pillerton (the blabbermouth). Monie now had four children and wanted a break from reality. She convinces an unenthusiastic Janet who is now Annapurna to come back. The first time that Monie and Annapurna journey into a book, they are discovered by Mildred Banfry. Mildred has big plans for Annapurna’s talent (I have a feeling Annapurna’s not going to enjoy this new venture). To find out what happens with Annapurna and her unique talent, check out The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy.

The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy is a cute story, but I found it lacking. It read like one long monologue instead of a story. I wanted more magic and fun, but I did not get it. Great idea but lacking in the execution. I give The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy 3 out of 5 stars.

I received a complimentary copy of The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jun 15, 2015 |
Having read and enjoyed a previous title of the Bibliomysteries series (the one by Joyce Carol Oates), I decided to give a chance to this one as well, although I’m not particularly fond of mystery fiction and I had never heard about Elizabeth George before. And it’s been a terrific surprise for two reasons. The first one is that this new Bibliomysteries turned out to be an extremely enjoyable novella, full of humor, well written, with three charming characters and a nice premise. And the second one is that, strictly speaking, this would be more a fantasy story than a mystery one, which is fine by me, as I do like fantasy. If you add to this the fact that I usually love stories about books (and this one is a charming tribute to books and to people who love to lose themselves in books), I could hardly have found a better way to spend an hour, because with around 40 pages you can easily read it in one sitting.

My only problem with this book was that, unfortunately, I’m not familiar enough with English/American literature and with mystery fiction as to be able to identify every literary reference in it, and in particular I had to search the web after finishing the book to fully understand the end. With this caveat, that would only apply to «foreigners» like me and that didn’t prevent me from enjoying it (although I think it’s advisable to be familiar at least with the plot of “Rebecca” and of “To Kill a Mockingbird”) , I would recommend it to anyone, mystery fans and non-fans alike, looking for a short, light and enjoyable read. ( )
  cuentosalgernon | Jun 13, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,454,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible