Man Enough: How Jesus Redefines Manhood by…

Man Enough: How Jesus Redefines Manhood

by Nate Pyle

151647,891 (5)None

"Man Enough" was a GREAT book that really broadened my eyes about manhood and Jesus' message about humanity, in general. I thought this book would be another "This is how to be a better man" type of book (which is fine), but it turned to something deeper. Pyle challenges really deeply-held beliefs about the Bible (especially verses Genesis 3:17) and masculinity. After briefly discussing the origins of modern American masculinity, he challenges that notion altogether. Is a man because he works outside of the home? Is a stay-at-home dad a man? What about an unemployed man?

Pyle readily admits that the notion of manhood is changing and this has led to some serious consequences. He points to the efforts of men trying to "remasculinize" Jesus through focusing on his "masculine" aspects and promoting the idea of being a protector, warrior, and leader. While he doesn't necessarily say this is wrong, Pyle says that it is out of balance. First of all, it limits women, which Pyle points out, received the same blessings and commandments as Adam.

Pyle argues for a truly "whole" being, regardless of gender. That is the message that Jesus came to teach, Pyle says. Jesus came to make us "whole" (or right with God and creation) not to make us fit some stereotype.

This message was something that I have never read before at a practical level. What he is encouraging is something more radical than I ever anticipated and I am extremely glad to read it. I only read the eBook version, but I will definitely, definitely buy the print version because I have more to practice and learn from this book!!

Note: This review was based on an electronic copy provided for reviewing purposes. ( )
  thecharlesiwas | Jul 2, 2015 |

Man Enough challenges the idea that there is one way to be a man. The masculinity that pervades our church and culture often demands that men conform to a macho ideal, leaving many men feeling ashamed that they’re not living up to God’s plan for them. Nate uses his own story of not feeling “man enough”, as well as sociological and historical reflections, to help men see that manhood isn’t about what you do, but who you are. It’s not about the size of your paycheck, your athletic ability, or your competitive spirit. You don’t have to fit any masculine stereotype to be a real man.

In our culture and churches more thoughtful, quieter, or compassionate personalities, as well as stay-at-home dads, are often looked down upon; and sermons, conferences, and publications center on helping men become “real men”. This pressure to have one’s manhood validated is antithetical to Gospel living and negatively affects how men relate to each other, to women and children, and to God.

Man Enough roots men in the Gospel, examines biblical examples of masculinity that challenge the idea of a singular type of man, and ultimately encourages men to conform to the image of Jesus—freeing men up to be who they were created to be: a son of God who uniquely bears His image.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 17:17:10 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,571,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible