Tattered and Mended: The Art of Healing the…

Tattered and Mended: The Art of Healing the Wounded Soul (edition 2015)

by Cynthia Ruchti

141962,479 (5)None
Member:cynthia.ruchti
Title:Tattered and Mended: The Art of Healing the Wounded Soul
Authors:Cynthia Ruchti
Info:Abingdon Press (2015), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:art, healing, soul, mending techniques

Tattered and Mended: The Art of Healing the Wounded Soul by Cynthia Ruchti

I very much enjoyed the accounts of art restoration and mending that Cynthia Ruchti writes about in Tattered and Mended – as well as how she compares these methods to the ways God restores our own wounded places. Her commentary on darning eggs (did you have to Google them too?) hit home with me. Our society has become one in which we throw away anything that life wears out – a sock, a pair of jeans, old tennis shoes. Is it any wonder, therefore, that we also are so quick to throw away a marriage, a friendship, a dream, a faith when life rubs holes in them?

My favorite art discussion has to be the Japanese mending practices of sashiko and boro. I’m not going to spoil it for you by going into detail here but oh the bittersweet truth found in these ancient garments. “The mending process isn’t always a comfortable one. But it’s necessary to keep us from falling apart.”

Cynthia is beautifully tender with the wounded but leaves no room for compromise or excuse. Or for healing without the Healer and His Word. The pages of Tattered and Mended provide encouragement, camaraderie, and hope. Always hope. Refreshing hope in a society that looks increasingly hopeless.

This book will appeal to antiquers and art-appreciators but also to just the average person who like me starts out with a nice pretty skein of yarn and ends up with a tangled web of what was supposed to be a scarf. :-)

If you are wounded or you care about someone who is, this is also a book you need to read!

(I received a copy of this book in conjunction with the Litfuse blog tour in exchange for only my honest review.)

Read my full review here: https://readingismysuperpower.wordpress.com/2015/07/21/review-tattered-and-mended/ ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |

Cynthia Ruchti is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,546,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible