Seven Nights with Ayahuasca: A graphic…

Seven Nights with Ayahuasca: A graphic account of heaven and hell, and the…

by Nicholas Floyd

One Hell of a Wild Ride
Nicholas Floyd’s Seven Nights with Ayahuasca is an excellent ‘primer’ for those who have always wondered what to expect should they ever find the courage to experience ayahuasca. “Should I, or shouldn’t I?”
The book is a factual, ‘blow-by-blow’, no-holds-barred account of Floyd’s seven nights of an out-of-this-world (quite literally) adventure with a group of strangers, some native guides, and the curious hallucinogen, somewhere in the Amazon. This is an objective, not a judgemental, accounting of what he experienced. In fact, he prefaces his book with a strong reader discretion advisory.
Reporting an experience repeated day after day can lend itself to monotony and boredom, but not with Floyd’s skill. One cannot help but admire the eloquence he articulates his adventures, and misadventures, with. Whether you’re considering the ayahuasca experience or you’re just curious, the book is, page after page, a gripping and compelling read – and yes, graphically informative.
Ayahuasca is a consciousness altering Amazonian plant mixture that is commonly used by shamans for healing by helping them communicate with the spirit world regarding the nature of an illness. Ayahuasca has certainly caught the curiosity of the West (so much so that the uninitiated are advised to carefully consider the source) and is considered by many to be a quick way of confronting, and hopefully resolving, their personal demons and/or hopefully gaining some measure of visionary insight or enlightenment.
As a side note, Dr. Alberto Villoldo, Ph.D, who was trained as a shaman (after leaving his academic energy medicine laboratory in San Francisco) by the healers of the Amazon and Peru and now combines shamanism with cutting edge nutrition, biology, and neuroscience, does not encourage ayahuasca use. His argument is that, with the proper maintenance of your biology, “you produce your own (ayahuasca) inside your brain”.
But that’s the “long way home”. The shorter, more direct route to exploring your inner space would be to ingest the sacred brew, but it’s not for the faint of heart. Could you handle it? I suggest that Seven Nights with Ayahuasca is the next best thing to the experience itself. It should provide you with sufficient clarity on the experience to determine whether this is for you or not. And if not, Floyd’s just taken you on one hell of a wild ride! ( )
  WallyR | Feb 16, 2017 |
Seven Nights with Ayahuasca was a disappointment for me. I admit, it's my own fault. I went into this with expectations because I had heard about ayahuasca being some kind of miracle that could cure people of everything from addiction to anxiety. So naturally, I was curious. After reading this book, I'm still curious. Instead of reading about someone searching for something to better himself, I read about a self-absorbed horny guy struggling with the abstinence rule while on the retreat. This is also someone who felt it necessary to painstakingly detail his every bowel movement for our reading pleasure. What I would have liked to see more of was what the other people on the retreat went through, in order to get a broader sense of the experience. Instead, he glosses over anything anyone else says to him, making it clear he is not interested in what they have to say. I understand that this is the author's own journey, but the journey consisted of nothing but psychedelic sexcapades and digestive issues. To sum it up, I can say that reading this book was basically reading about a bored horny guy on a week long drug induced trip. If you're looking for a soul searching journey to better oneself, this isn't it.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JenGarland | Feb 11, 2017 |
A highly detailed and very graphic first hand experience with Ayahuasca (a hallucinogenic drug). The writing style is good and provides for a somewhat interesting read. The reader does get involved, but the seven nights don't seem realistic at all. The description of the bowel movements were way over done. An adults only book that I would not recommend to family or friends. ( )
  jimphillips8 | Jan 14, 2017 |
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I suppose that Nicholas Floyd feels quite proud of himself for surviving seven nights under the influence of this horrifying hallucinogenic drug, but honestly I could have done without the in-depth descriptions of his various bowel movements and sexual fantasies. I felt that this was not written at all well, but have to ask the question: if he was so out of it during his trips on ayahuasca, how is he able to remember so much detail of all this jabber? ( )
  PollyMig | Dec 2, 2015 |
The author didn't lie about that the book is graphic. In the beginning it was harsh, but more and more into the book I started to love his style. He writes down his experiences so well that I can feel I am there with him. I also love about his work that he is not trying to be spiritual or involve any religious thoughts. Just the raw facts and events. He did a great job on this book. I enjoyed every page. Thank you for the experience! ( )
  m00kus | Dec 1, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 099617320X, Paperback)

Secluded in the depths of the Peruvian Amazon, Nicholas Floyd plunges headfirst into the ancient shamanic ritual of ingesting Ayahuasca, a medicinal and extremely potent hallucinogenic brew that thrusts him into a profound introspective journey of unbridled euphoria, unbearable anguish, unsettling imagery, and unexpected epiphanies. Brutal and heart-wrenching visions force him to confront himself for the first time in his life, and he emerges from the emotional crucible as a man reformed in ways that he never predicted. Seven Nights with Ayahuasca is the graphic firsthand narrative of one man’s life-changing Ayahuasca visions, written in precise language devoid of the vague analogies and cryptic spiritual lingo that often saturate such accounts of Ayahuasca. In this gripping and phantasmagorical expedition of the mind — easily accessible regardless of one’s experience with hallucinogens — Floyd vividly details both the Ayahuasca intoxication itself, as well as the incredible therapeutic potential thereof.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 18:27:09 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Nicholas Floyd's book Seven Nights with Ayahuasca was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Nicholas Floyd is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,534,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible