Manga Classics: Great Expectations by…

Manga Classics: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

by Crystal S. Chan

Other authors: Nokman Poon (Illustrator)

Series: Manga Classics

English (8)  Danish (1)  All (9)
Review to follow ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
I've only seen the South Park adaptation of Great Expectations, which was hilarious. I was interested in reading this manga from Netgalley. The manga is beautifully told, with nice illustrations and a good story. I never read the book, but the manga made it easy to follow. I have to admit I voiced Pip as Butters in my head. As for the story, Dickens is pretty depressing, and I guess readers complained about the ending, so this manga makes it ambiguous on purpose. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 6, 2016 |
I'm not sure that it would be a good starting point for readers completely unfamiliar with the story because it cuts a bunch out and skips around but, for fans of the original, I think this is a great companion book. It takes some of the most interesting parts of the classic tale and gives them life. I particularly liked revisiting the relationship between Pip and Joe Gargery and I loved the way that Miss Havisham was drawn, beautiful but broken.

http://webereading.com/2016/07/manga-classics-great-expectations.html ( )
  klpm | Jul 15, 2016 |
3.5 stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I've been reading quite a lot of Manga Classics lately, but unfortunately this is for now the last in the series. Let me start by saying I hope there will be more soon because I liked this one and also the other I've read (Les Miserables, The Scarlet Letter, Emma and Pride & Prejudice).

The story is so well know that I don't think I need to discuss it. Instead, I'd like to say that although I haven't read the book I kind of knew the story from a BBC adaptation I watched a few years ago and I think it followed the story quite well (for as far as I can remember). It's only obvious that some details get lost when the story gets adapted into a 300 page manga.

I don't think this is necessarily a problem, since it's a great introduction or refresher in my opinion. It's not a substitute for reading the classics but an addition I like to read. This manga (as well as the others) have made me want to read the originals that I hadn't read already. I don't think I'll be the only one who feels this way.

Hope there's another one soon and can't wait to find out which classic is next!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Manga version of the Charles Dickens classic

I have been critical of these Manga versions of the classics in the past but this one is a massive improvement on some of the previous ones. It reproduces faithfully the plot and is a worthy introduction to the story: Pip, a young orphan, helps an escaped convict on the marshes and is also invited to Miss Haversham’s house to play with her adopted daughter, Estella. As he grows up, he is helped financially by an unknown benefactor and meets many people in London who help him. He eventually finds out the truth about his benefactor.

As usual, it is beautifully illustrated (in the digital edition that I have, it is all in black and white).
  PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |

Chan, Crystal S.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Poon, NokmanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, StacyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

A manga adaptation of the classic literary novel by Charles Dickens, a rags-to-riches tale of Pip, a young orphan and the transformation he endures through the circumstances of his life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible