Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Between the World and Me

by Ta-Nehisi Coates

English (158)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (162)
This was a terribly hard book to read, for all its brevity, but I'm glad that I stuck with my discomfort and made it through. This book is ostensibly a letter to his son, but it works equally well as a letter for anyone who hasn't lived his life. Living, even for a short time, with the anger and frustration that makes it through these pages is an uncomfortable experience, but I also found it enlightening. There were moments I wanted to argue with him, but then I'd stop and consider how fundamentally different my assumptions about life are from his, likely based on our very different experiences. ( )
  duchessjlh | Aug 15, 2017 |
Between the World and Me is a short read, but it packs a punch. It's one of those books that takes you out of yourself and lets you walk in someone else's shoes, like opening a door into another person's lived experience. When it was over, I felt like I had gained a much deeper, more personal understanding of the current discourse surrounding racial issues in the United States. Powerfully written and evocative, this book is a must-read. ( )
  les121 | Aug 3, 2017 |
Excellent. I agree with Toni Morrison's blurb on the book jacket, "This is reqired reading." ( )
  michelleannlib | Jul 25, 2017 |
This book was not written for me, or other people that society sees (or who see themselves) as white. This is a letter from a black man in the US to a black son in the US. It is full of harsh truths that a lot of people who aren’t black don’t want to read. It doesn’t end on some false note of hope. It’s one man’s truth that he is choosing to share with another person, a man who is generous enough to allow the rest of us a chance to read it.

Racism is part of the history of the US, but it is also a part of the present in the US. A big part. It’s present in the neighborhoods that are segregated, the neighborhoods that are gentrifying. It’s present in our criminal justice system, and our school systems. It is everywhere. Some of us, however, are at times able to pretend it isn’t present because we aren’t the ones being stopped and frisked, or shot when seeking help after a car accident, or strangled when selling cigarettes.

I don’t think a review of this book – especially by someone who the book is not for – is really appropriate. I think the best I can do is suggest that everyone read it. Then read it again. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
Between the World and Me is, in important ways, a book written toward white Americans, and I say this as one them. White Americans may need to read this book more urgently and carefully than anyone, and their own sons and daughters need to read it as well. This is not to say this is a book about white people, but rather that it is a terrible mistake for anyone to assume that this is just a book about nonwhite people. In the broadest terms Between the World and Me is about the cautious, tortured, but finally optimistic belief that something beyond these categories persists. Implicit in this book’s existence is a conviction that people are fundamentally reachable, perhaps not all of them but enough, that recognition and empathy are within grasp, that words and language are capable of changing people, even if—especially if—those words are not ones people prefer to hear.
added by elenchus | editslate.com, Jack Hamilton (Jul 9, 2015)

In the scant space of barely 160 pages, Atlantic national correspondent Coates (The Beautiful Struggle) has composed an immense, multifaceted work. This is a poet's book, revealing the sensibility of a writer to whom words—exact words—matter....It's also a journalist's book, not only because it speaks so forcefully to issues of grave interest today, but because of its close attention to fact...As a meditation on race in America, haunted by the bodies of black men, women, and children, Coates's compelling, indeed stunning, work is rare in its power to make you want to slow down and read every word. This is a book that will be hailed as a classic of our time.
added by theaelizabet | editPublishers Weekly

Ta-Nehisi Coatesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornets de Groot, Rutger H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cunningham, CarolineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GregCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And one morning while in the woods I stumbled suddenly upon the thing,

Stumbled upon it in a grassy clearing guarded by scaly oaks and elms

And the sooty details of the scene rose, thrusting themselves between the world and me...

—Richard Wright
For David and Kenyatta,

who believed
Son,

Last Sunday the host of a popular news show asked me what it meant to lose my body.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible