The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of…

The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood)

by Jeff Wheeler

There was too much terminology created for this book for me to enjoy it. ( )
  mtlkch | Jul 16, 2017 |
Little hard to get into because we're given bunches of information mixed with unfamiliar terms, and the number of characters jumps with the flashbacks which start, if I remember correctly, with chapter two and appear in alternating chapters throughout this first volume, catching up to 'present time' by the end of the book.
However, once up to speed this is a well-written and stylish fantasy with a wide and detailed world, and I'm looking forward to reading the other books. This first volume ends on a fair old cliffhanger, but is reasonably complete as a story otherwise. ( )
  DavidR1958 | Jul 4, 2017 |
Honestly, The Banished of Muirwood is sort of a mess. It is a YA second world fantasy about a banished princess on a mysterious quest who is being hunted by an organization of mages. Or at least I am pretty certain they are an organization of mages, but I don’t really know. Like I said, this book was sort of a mess.

Maia is banished at a young age when her father wants to put aside her mother to marry a women who will give him male heirs (yes, it reminds me of Henry VIII and his wives also). He also banishes a group named the Dochte Mandar, who are the aforementioned likely magic users’ organization. Because of this, people start going slightly crazy. Possibly it’s because the Dochte Mandar aren’t around to protect people from evil spirits? Did the book say that? I think it might have, or at least implied it. Maia is supposed to be going to an abbey to find a solution there. She gets there and finds out that she’s actually got to go to another country. The Dochte Mandar are chasing her by this point.

Unfortunately, the book alternates between present day Maia being chased by the Dochte Mandar and various flashbacks of Maia’s past which didn’t really add much. The little that was relevant could have been combined into the main narrative or condensed at the beginning.

A large part of what made this confusing was the crucial role that the history of the world and the political situation played. It was very difficult to try and figure out what the author was saying, especially about the history portion, and I still don’t have a clear picture of it. As it turns out, the important historical information is another book that he has already written. So why can’t the information be clearer in this novel? There were also world building things that kept tripping me up. For instance, what’s the difference between the Docte Madar and the mastons? Originally I thought they were the same thing, but then I figured out they were two different things?

Also, Maia learned to read and use magic despite these things being forbidden for women. The reason they are forbidden for women is supposedly because of these women named the hetaera who were evil magic users who could kill men with a kiss. I could talk about possible problematic gender stereotypes here, but the book’s too convoluted and ill explained for me to even start and try to analyze it.

There’s also a possible romantic subplot that I’m not happy with. I say possible because I think the “love interest” is manipulative and predatory and more villain material than love interest. Maia doesn’t see it this way and instead focuses on how handsome he is and how conflicted her feelings are for him. I still think it’s possible that she’ll wake up and see reality in one of the sequel books, but I am not going to bother to read and find out.

All that being said, the book did have good points. When it wasn’t bogged down in flashbacks, the pacing and tension were really quite good. At the beginning I was annoyed by Maia and how “she did not cry like other girls” and the idea that this made her superior in some way. However, by the end it’s reversed and it looks like Maia will have to learn to accept her own emotions.

When it comes down to it, The Banished of Muirwood is not a book I would recommend. I probably would have quit reading it except that I had to review it for Netgalley and it doesn’t feel right to review a book without reading it to the end.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page.

I received a free ARC copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  pwaites | Nov 6, 2015 |
Young Maia, a true princess of the realm of Comoros and heir to the throne, is secretly learning to read and become proficient in the ancient lore of the Dochte Mandar. Her father is disaffected with the queen who is producing stillborn male heirs and banishes her to a distant monastery while he carries on with one of the Ladies in Waiting who becomes Maia’s nemesis. Maia is sent on various missions, and becomes infected with an evil spirit, all as part of her father’s plan to secure a divorce. This first book in the trilogy records her journeys and humiliations and exposure to evil and the power for good or evil that she can exert while trying to maintain her innocence.

This is a free e-book for which I was asked to give an honest review. ( )
  mcdenis | Sep 2, 2015 |
If you're looking for a fantasy adventure that's a cross between King Arthur and Game of Thrones but has a little more sorcery than sword - but still plenty of swordplay and bloodshed, then this is the right book for you.

The book follows Maia, a princess who has been banished by her father, who wants to do the right thing but has trouble discerning exactly what that might be amid all the power plays taking play in both the physical and spiritual realms. Maia plays a key role in both of these worlds, which makes her choices pivotal to the outcomes.

Engaging characters, a mystery, and a fast moving plot keep the story interesting. Fantasy adventure with power struggles and perilous journeys to keep you turning pages.

Note: I was given a free ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Neftzger | Aug 30, 2015 |

In a world full of magic and mystery, eighteen-year-old Maia is the exiled princess of Comoros and rightful heir to the throne. Forced to live as a servant in her enemy's home, Maia flees her captors and begins a perilous quest to save her people. To survive, she must use magic she has learned in secret--despite the fact that women are forbidden to control it. Hunted by enemies at every turn, Maia realizes that danger lurks within her, too. Her powers threaten to steal not only her consciousness but also her sense of right and wrong. Can she set herself free and save the realm she loves--even if her people have forgotten her? In bestselling author Jeff Wheeler's fantasy epic, the answer may be only the beginning to Maia's journey throughout the mystical land of Muirwood.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,142,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible