Mailbox: A Scattershot Novel of Racing,…

Mailbox: A Scattershot Novel of Racing, Dares and Danger, Occasional…

by Nancy Freund

831,035,133 (3.33)None
ebook (1) fiction (1) Kindle (2) own (1) to-read (3)

The story is about a 12 year old girl who lives in 1970's, Usa. It literary felt as someone has taken a diary from that time and is presenting it. It is focused on language, word meaning and adapted to the point of view of a 12 year old. Some wise and good examples! I did enjoy but I also found it slow at the times. I wonder about the Mailbox chapter as if I was the one to choose the title of the book it would be from chapter called Lemonade Stand with all the red sneakers. Its interesting read. ( )
  ilonita50 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Each chapter is different and the book wanders around from topic to topic but it all fits together, sort of like reading someone's diary. This diary is of Sandy Drue, who wants to be Nancy Drew and has all sorts of delightful insights into life and adults. Maybe it's due to the fact that I grew up in this time period but it was wonderful to read about so many of my childhood staples, the metal roller skates, the politics of the time, and all sorts of things. Sandy's parents are artistic and unconventional and allow their children to figure things out on their own. Her parents often state that they feel like they are raising foreign exchange students, they don't always understand their kids but they are always supportive.

This is a great coming of age novel. I loved the style of the writing and the insights into childhood in the 1970's USA. Very well done, but don't expect a fluid story. ( )
  ReadingGrrl | Nov 24, 2015 |
A scrappy young girl with a typewriter, tells all about life in the 1970s.

Sandy Drue is ten years old. When she finds a typewriter in her father’s office she begins churning out pages and pages about her life and what it means to be a young girl in America at this time. Filled with scattered stories and adventures, the novel takes us through the turmoil’s of America – the Watergate Scandal, economic fragility to name but a few – as well as the turmoil’s of growing up.

This is a really interesting novel, and is pretty much completely different from anything I have ever read before. The book is almost like a series of short stories, except they all focus on one little girl and her life. As the title suggests there are stories about racing, about dares and danger as well as family, politics, education and pretty much everything in between.

I found this a really enjoyable read, it really showcases what it is to grow up in 1970s America, I imagine if you were born in that time period, this book would be extra special to you. Although I was born twenty odd years later, I still see a lot of similarities to my upbringing, and that definitely brought a smile to my face. One thing about Mailbox is that it is full of emotion, one story might make you laugh out loud, while the next will bring you to tears.

This is not the sort of book that I read often. Predominantly my interests lie in the fantasy genre, but it was nice just to read a book about real life, and characters that are extraordinary, but not because they have magical powers or abilities.The book is incredibly well written, and it’s so interesting to see the subtle little conversations that ultimately shape Sandy into the adult she is.

As a character I absolutely loved Sandy, she always questions things, she’s inquisitive and intelligent, and she makes the same blunders we all do growing up. It was a pleasure to be inside her head and see things from her perspective. Mailbox is a very powerful read, and one that I think stays with you even after you've finished reading it. If you’re looking for a break from the swords and magic, Mailbox might be exactly what you’re looking for. ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | May 24, 2015 |

In 76 funny and poignant linked vignettes, 13-year-old agnostic protagonist Sandy Drue delivers the story of her personal quest. Her family has moved from New York City to Small Town USA -- not an easy move, especially for Sandy's artist/intellectual mother who feels, the more her children adapt to their new community, like she's hosting foreign exchange students who never leave. Sandy is in-between -- between her mother's mindset and her own, between childhood and adulthood, between geographical and cultural divisions, and in the 1970s, between political conflicts in American history and a changing economy. She is searching for the Meaning of Life, and she generously and honestly shares what she finds. A compulsively readable tale of the mysteries and mischief, struggles and victories of growing up -- a fantastic piece of contemporary fiction as true to life as a careful documentary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:19:26 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,049,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible