The Nesting Quilt by Cathryn Falwell

EDUC 417.006
Reading Log #7

The Nesting Quilt
Written & Illustrated by: Cathryn Falwell
Published by: Tilbury House Publishers (2015)

I thought The Nesting Quilt was very special and informative. One of my favorite things about this book was that the author included facts about birds throughout the book, because the little girl, Maya, mentions that “Nana and I love birds, and we love to look for their nests, too.” Because the main theme in this book is quilting and preparing a home for a new baby, I think it’s really interesting that the author related this to bird practices, when they have babies. This book was written in first person, so Maya was the narrator and I really liked her wittiness and curiosity about the world around her, I think it is something that kids can relate to. An example of her curiosity is when she sees a finch’s nest and decides she wants to make a “nesting quilt” for her incoming baby brother. Finally I really liked the illustrations in the book, and how each page jumps from inside Maya’s home to outside where the birds are nesting and flying around. I think the message of this book is that a lot can come from looking at the world around you, engaging in your curiosity and having a goal! Maya shows us what this can do in this warm-hearted and also informative book! ( )
  mkatri1 | Sep 16, 2015 |

Maya is a going to be a big sister! Family and friends are getting ready for the new baby. Nana says they are nesting, just like the birds they love to watch. But what can Maya do? With help from a little bird, a kind Nana, and scraps of cloth, Maya creates the perfect gift just in time for the new baby.

Includes easy-to-follow instructions for making a quilt.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:01:26 -0400)

Maya's family is preparing for a new baby and she wants to help, so she draws on her interest in birds' nests to create a very special quilt. Includes information about quilt making and instructions for making a small quilt.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,814,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible