Farmed and Dangerous by Edith Maxwell

Farmed and Dangerous

by Edith Maxwell

184561,019 (4)None

I am generally not a big reader of murder mysteries but once in a blue moon one will tickle my fancy. When offered Farmed and Dangerous I was intrigued by the setting of this novel – a farm! Of course I would enjoy a tale such as this, right? This is part of a series of cozy mysteries – no blood, no gore – involving Cam Flaherty and the denizens of her small town.

In this volume Cam is again caught up in a murder mystery when someone at the local Assisted Living Facility is found dead after eating a meal made with vegetables and other products from her farm. This woman, Bev Montgomery, was an unpleasant woman and she and Cam had a difficult relationship. To cap things off Cam’s boyfriend is the state police officer investigating and since she is “person of interest” they can’t see each other until the case is solved.

I really enjoyed the farm discussions and the sections about the different vegetables and how to grow things organically. It almost felt like I was in the middle of a conversation with my husband. Books like this are not meant to be deep and thoughtful but rather to be fluffy and entertaining and this one succeeds on that point. It’s never overly suspenseful but I enjoyed the characters and the setting. It was a lovely break from the heavier tomes I had read a couple of weeks ago. I’d happily revisit with the characters again. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Jul 8, 2015 |
Cameron Flaherty owns her uncle's farm which she has decided to convert to certified organic. It means more work, but in the end, she knows it will be worth it. She has just landed the opportunity to provide her uncle's care facility with fresh greens for a meal, and hopes that the result will be a contract to provide for them permanently.

Well, permanently is certainly the right word, but it's not a contract. One of the residents, Bev Montgomery, has permanently checked out of the home after eating a meal made with Cam's vegetables. Since she becomes a suspect in the murder, her budding relationship with Detective Pete Pappas is being put on hold, and he's telling her they need to distance themselves until all this is cleared up. Stung, Cam believes it's unfair, and even though Pete tells her to stay out of the investigation, she knows she won't, especially after her uncle is injured in a fall and she thinks it might have been an attack by Bev's killer.

Then things begin to really come undone: Her relationship with Pete is at a standstill, she has trouble on the farm, and she finds herself in the killer's sights. While no real attempts are made on her life, the more she finds out about Bev's murder, the more she puts herself in true danger.

I thought this was a splendid read. The characters were well-developed, and we are allowed at all times to see into Cam's thoughts and feelings, which is indeed refreshing. She is doing her best to make sure her uncle is well-taken care of, and also trying to make her farm a go. At the same time, she is building relationships that will benefit her in the long run, and making new friends who are willing to help her out when it's needed, since she no longer has a hired hand on her farm.

The mystery was well-written and the reasons behind the murder were completely plausible and I enjoyed the way everything came together at the end. Cam proved herself to be quite capable and not hen-witted (pun intended). I didn't discover the killer until right before Cam did, and that in itself is a good sign. This is the third book in the series but you don't need to read the first two to enjoy it. Recommended. ( )
  joannefm2 | Jun 5, 2015 |
Farmed and Dangerous, a Local Foods Mystery, is the third entry in a series just keeps getting better and better.

Cam is delightful as she struggles with surviving her first winter of organic farming and supplying the community-supported agriculture program (CSA). She’s still a software geek at heart, but that expertise comes in pretty handy in running her farm and trying to solve the mystery she has been thrown into. She is becoming more comfortable with the CSA members – except Bev Montgomery, no one is comfortable with her! – and feels at home with the locals. There is also a hint (or maybe more than a hint) of romance for her. The recurring supporting characters continue to develop and make us care what happens to them.

The winter scenes were so realistic I was cold just reading them. The organic farming information is fascinating as always, and Edith Maxwell sneaks those facts in in such a way that you don’t even realize you are learning.

The recipes – try them! Every time I read a description of meal in the book I wanted to stop reading and try it. Delicious food.

I received an ARC from the author but a review was not expected. This is a great series and I would recommend it. You can read Farmed and Dangerous as a stand-alone but even better, go back to the beginning and see how Cam began on the farm. ( )
  GrandmaCootie | May 26, 2015 |
Farmed and Dangerous by Edith Maxwell is the third book in the Local Foods Mystery series. Cameron Flaherty is running Attic Hill Farm (took it over from her Uncle Albert) and trying to make a go of it during the winter. She has established hoop houses and is growing greens in them for her customers. Cameron has a chance to get a contract with Moran Manor to provide produce during the summer. Cameron’s Uncle Albert lives at Moran Manor and Cameron visits him frequently.

Cameron is on a date with Detective Pete Pappas when he gets called to a death at Moran Manor. Beverly Montgomery is dead (Cameron has had problems with her in the past when Beverly still lived at her farm). Beverly was not a popular person. She frequently rubbed people the wrong way especially her caregiver, Oscar. Her daughter, Ginger, wanted the farm for real estate development, but Beverly wanted it to be kept a farm. In order for Pete to investigate the case, he has to distance himself from Cameron (her food might have poisoned Beverly). The next day Miss Lacey, who also lives at Moran Manor, dies. What is going on?

Cameron sets out to solve the case and clear her name. She cannot afford to have her name nor the farm’s associated with these deaths. When Uncle Albert is found on the floor in his room with a head wound, Cameron is determined to get answers. I was thoroughly delighted with Farmed and Dangerous. Another great addition to the Local Foods Mystery series. I give Farmed and Dangerous 5 out of 5 stars. Farmed and Dangerous had great characters, a good mystery with twists, interesting information about growing vegetables and herbs in winter, and a little romance. What more can a reader ask for in a cozy mystery! Farmed and Dangerous can easily be read without reading the first two books in the series.

I received a complimentary copy of Farmed and Dangerous by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 24, 2015 |

Snow is piling up in Westbury, Massachusetts, and Cam Flaherty’s organic farm has managed to survive the harsh New England winter. Unfortunately murder seems to be the crop in season…

Cam is finding the New Year just as hectic as the old one. Her sometimes rocky relationship with Chef Jake Ericsson is in a deep freeze, she’s struggling to provide the promised amount of food to the subscribers in her first winter CSA, and her new greenhouse might just collapse from the weight of the snow. Supplying fresh ingredients for a dinner at the local assisted living facility seems like the least of her worries—until one of the elderly residents dies after eating some of her produce.

Cantankerous Bev Montgomery had a lot of enemies, from an unscrupulous real estate developer who coveted her land to an aggrieved care provider fed up with her verbal abuse. But while the motives in this case may be plentiful, the trail of poisoned produce leads straight back to Cam. Not even her budding romance with police detective Pete Pappas will keep him from investigating her.

As the suspects gather, a blizzard buries the scene of the crime under a blanket of snow, leaving Cam stranded in the dark with a killer who gives new meaning to the phrase "dead of winter."

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 08 Jul 2015 00:06:29 -0400)

"Cam is finding the New Year just as hectic as the old one. Her sometimes rocky relationship with Chef Jake Ericsson is in a deep freeze, she's struggling to provide the promised amount of food to the subscribers in her first winter CSA, and her new greenhouse might just collapse from the weight of the snow. Supplying fresh ingredients for a dinner at the local assisted living facility seems like the least of her worries--until one of the elderly residents dies after eating some of her produce"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,426,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible