All Dogs Go to Kevin: Everything Three Dogs…

All Dogs Go to Kevin: Everything Three Dogs Taught Me (That I Didn't…

by Jessica Vogelsang

ab (1) animals (3) ARC (1) bab (2) dogs (2) eb (1) first-reads (1) goodreads (1) GR Import (1) memoir (3) NF (1) non-fiction (1) nonfiction animals (1) own (1) pets (2) to-read (7) up-next (1) veterinarians (2)

Very enjoyable audio, especially because it was read by the author---a wonderful way to really understand how she felt by listening to her voice as she read her memoir about her life with her dogs. ( )
  nyiper | Oct 27, 2015 |
In her acknowledgments, author Dr. Vogelsang thanks her editor for “taking a leap of faith on a debut author with Yet Another Dog Book.” Yes, this is Yet Another Dog Book. It is also entertaining, hopeful, sad, and infuriating.

Not all puppies and rainbows, this book. There is death. There is failure to cope well. There is a path of learning. There are tears.

There are also people I want to just slap upside the head.

This memoir is told in sections labeled by the dog in her life at that time. Her vet school experiences were enlightening, as was her telling of her growing practice, her mistakes as well as her achievements.

What I hated was the dissection of dogs in vet school. Those dogs were someone pets, or perhaps never had the chance to be loved. At any rate, they were betrayed by humans so that vet students could glop around in their organs. And the live animal lab - I absolutely hate vivisection and cannot understand the mentality of those who do it.

The author grew from an introverted, antisocial, overly sensitive person, and I can relate to that personality type. I enjoyed seeing her change, and I enjoyed most of the stories. The book was nicely written, not overly verbose for the story it was telling, and a good memoir for animal lovers.

But don't expect only puppy dogs and rainbows.

I was given a ebook acvanced reader's copy of this book for review. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Aug 11, 2015 |
I'm going to begin by vocalizing my extreme annoyance. Someone at Publisher's Weekly and some reviewer at Amazon 'made me' select this book by making a tantalizing comparison between it and James Herriot's books.

I think by mentioning Herriot most people would assume that this would mean that the tone and approach to the material would be somewhat the same. I'm here to tell you that it is not similar. In fact I found the only similarity to be that dogs were mentioned. And I can only assume that the people who 'saw' a similarity hadn't read Herriot's books or else could no longer recall them clearly.

What we have with Dr. Vogelsang's book is an interesting autobiography that revolves around wonderful dogs. I think many dog lovers probably perceive of their lives in the context of dogs they have loved and learned from. What most of us can't do is open up the world of veterinary school. And, in fact, this was probably my favorite part of the book.

Not that I didn't enjoy the stories that came out her actual veterinary practice, but the insight into her years of education I found personally fascinating.

This is nice quick read. There are some tear-jerk moments --at least for me there were -- but generally the whole book was upbeat.

~review copy provided by NG ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Aug 8, 2015 |
Jessica Vogelsang uses the life of each of her (first three?) dogs to tell the period of her life which ran concurrently with each life. This format allows her to both tell the story of each of those lives as well as how those beloved pets helped her to become the person and veterinarian she is today. I found this to be very effective and straightforward.

The comparisons with Herriot are justified but also a bit unfair. Herriot's works range far and wide and different readers tend to take away different impressions, which means that this single volume from Vogelsang can seem lacking in comparison. That said, with future (I hope!) volumes her work will, I believe, compare ever more favorably with Herriot's.

As with any memoir with pets, there is a definite need to have tissues close at hand. Yet even these relatively sad moments are expressed in a positive manner by remembering the joys of each dog's life as well as what each brought to Vogelsang's life. The section dealing with her postpartum depression was both a moving account of what it feels like as well as a wonderful example of what a dog brings to the human-canine relationship. The section where Kevin dies and the rationale behind why the phrase "all dogs go to Kevin" makes a certin amount of comforting sense is also a wonderful story.

All in all I would highly recommend this book to all the usual suspects (pet owners and animal lovers) and to those who may not fall into those two categories and wonder why those of us who do feel the way we do about our pets.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Jul 27, 2015 |

"A veterinarian discusses the lessons her beloved dogs have imparted on her throughout life,"--Novelist.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,417,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible