Hutterite Diaries: Wisdom from My Prairie…

Hutterite Diaries: Wisdom from My Prairie Community (Plainspoken, Book…

by Linda Maendel

A well-written and interesting collection of memories, which give an unprecedented look at the lives of Hutterites in Western Canada.

Living in Alberta, I have seen Hutterites, driven by the colonies, and even purchased food at Farmer's Markets, but I still didn't know anything about everyday life. Linda Maendel gave me a glimpse of ordinary daily life, customs, beliefs, celebrations and disasters. I very much appreciated reading this book. ( )

katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
“Creating word pictures is like collecting treasures; it makes me take a closer look at things. Via my blig and newspaper articles, I get to share my musings with people around the world.”

Hutterite Diaries is a slim volume of these very musings. Therein lies the problem with many slim volumes these days. The collections of blogs and articles of most bloggers and article writers aren’t always required reading. David Foster Wallace, Roxanne Gay, Woodward and Bernstein or Mitch Albom are a varied list of YES writers that come to mind. Linda Maendel would not probably make my “must be bound” list. She writes interesting blog entries and articles about Hutterites and if my eleven-year-old had to write a report on the subject I would hand her this book.

It is very factual. Hutterites are modern with equipment like tractors and trucks but not dress. The book is very informative with …information. But not much else. The author’s brothers died in a fire. The author finds out Hutterites were slaves in Cyprus until the 1800s. The author travels to other countries. All subjects seemingly surrounded with emotions and stories. Right? Wrong. At lest not for this version. The lack of feeling or personal observation and reflection were a missed opportunity to make this a true “diary”.

The author does tell the reader how many French fries the potato shed holds. But no spoilers here! Read it for general info and to know the difference between the Amish, for example. Otherwise stick to reading Maendel’s blog. It is very informative. http://www.hutterites.org/author/lindamaendel/

Provided by publisher ( )
  hfineisen | Sep 1, 2015 |
A must read for fans of the "plain lifestyle" and those interested in learning about Hutterite community. While not a cohesive memoir or story, it is still an engaging romp through memories and experiences. Hutterite author, Linda Maendel shares many stories about growing up in her community, values, and family living. Knowing next to nothing about this religion/culture, I thought it was definitely eye opening and not at all what I expected. I think I thought it would be closer to Amish living, but in fact it is quite different. Linda outlines many differences and misconceptions common folk have about their lifestyle as compared to the Amish. A quick, informative read, I was able to complete it within about two hours. I can see this being wildly popular at libraries.

I received this book for free from Litfuse Publicity in return for my honest, unbiased opinion. ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 2, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0836199464, Paperback)

What would it be like to share all your possessions and live in Christian community? In Hutterite Diaries, Linda Maendel offers a rare glimpse into the daily routines and communal faith of her people, the Hutterian Brethren. From stories of working together to bring in the fall potato harvest to laugh-out-loud tales of sisterly love laced with revenge, Maendel invites readers into her Bruderhof, or colony, nestled on the prairie of western Canada. Here children and adults work, play, eat, and worship together, crafting a community of goods and living out an alternative to the individualism and consumerism of mainstream society.

Because few outsiders know anything about the Hutterites, a Plain Christian group related to the Amish and Mennonites, this book offer a rare-glimpse into Hutterite life.

Plainspoken series real-life stories of Amish and Mennonites includes:

Book 1 Chasing the Amish Dream: My Life as a Young Amish Bachelor by Loren Beachy

Book 2 Called to Be Amish: My Journey from Head Majorette to the Old Order by Marlene Miller

Book 3 Hutterite Diaries: Wisdom from My Prairie Community by Linda Maendel

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 11 Jul 2015 00:30:13 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,939,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible