A secret to keep by Railyn Stone

A secret to keep

by Railyn Stone

113,689,591 (2)None
Recently added bymaggie1961

I received this arc book from net galley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book.
I have realized that how you feel about characters in a book can influence your enjoyment in reading that book and I must admit I did not like Sloane at all. First and foremost is the fact of her keeping her child a secret from his father, Gates. This is not because he was a serial killer or any other kind of criminal, but because of assumptions she
made on what kind of father he'd be. Who does that? Yes, he was a workaholic who had a cold domineering father, is that grounds for depriving him of an opportunity to be a father? Hardly!! At no point did she redeem herself in the book, I found her to be selfish, self centered and whiny, not to mention a huge liar. The whole issue of "should I tell?" went on and on, did she really think she could keep the secret forever? And if she told, would it be because it was the right thing to do or because she thought it would be found out.
I think realistically the future of Gates and Sloane relationship is very unlikely. I am all for second chances for a relationship, have read many enjoyable books that explored that, but this wasn't her leaving the cap off the toothpaste one time too many. She never told him about his son and he missed out on moments he will never have. I know how annoyed I felt when she apologized over and over, I am pretty sure that would get old soon. And then he starts with the apologies. I wasn't a huge fan of Gates, he seemed to throw his money around everywhere and he was all furious and a bit vindictive one minute, then it's like he no longer resents what she has done and all is okay.
Now there were some hot sexy moments that were quite enjoyable to read, I didn't mind that at all, even if the dialog was rather sappy. I did also find some other parts to be a bit over descriptive.
Perhaps this just wasn't the book for me. I found it dragged and was repetitive and I had zero interest in finishing it although I did. This book could maybe appeal more to someone who devours romance novels but it just didn't work for me. ( )
  maggie1961 | May 25, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,833,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible