Time's Up (A Maisie McGrane Mystery) by…

Time's Up (A Maisie McGrane Mystery)

by Janey Mack

202515,329 (4.25)None

TIME’S UP ©2015 by Janey Mack stars a fabulous, feisty heroine. Maisie McGrane and her four brothers are Black Irish, first-generation Chicagoans. Her family are all cops and lawyers (including her parents). Maisie has had a life-long dream of being a cop, which is now thwarted, so, with characteristic deviousness, she becomes a meter maid, prone to mishap and misadventure.

The romance/sex appeal is just right: ever-present, not a slam dunk, not graphic, doesn’t take over the story. TIME’S UP is not a mystery in the usual sense, though there is a body. And, it could be that Maisie discovers the culprit. It’s a roller coaster, a "caper" story full of antics.

Maisie’s adventures can be very funny, but I found some confusing. A Cast of Characters didn’t help. Events occur and then people say things but I was often unclear of the meaning of an event or how subsequent conversation made any kind of resolution, though it was clear that various other characters in the story understood.

Now that I’ve said this, I *DO* intend to read the next in the series because Maisie really is delightful. And I hope the next time, Janey Mack is able to deliver more clues about what’s going on.

http://www.reviewsbytdev.com/content/TIMES-UP-Janey-Mack ( )
  TdeV | Jul 25, 2016 |
I liked this book. I don't really want to tell you anything about it so you can discover Maisie McGrane on your own. It caught my interest, I enjoyed the way Janey Mack showed the balancing act between public and private face. It was just a fun read and there were three times I broke out in laughter in a medical reception room. *shrug* I'm looking forward to Choked Up with some anticipation. You'll enjoy it. ( )
  sdmtngirl | Nov 10, 2015 |

Expelled from the police academy and forced to work as a meter maid, Maisie follows the trail of conspiracy after she stumbles across the body of a City Hall staffer with two bullets in his chest.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,363,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible