BOOKER - Hate City (A Private Investigator…

BOOKER - Hate City (A Private Investigator Thriller Series of Crime and…

by John W. Mefford

222,551,640 (4.5)None
Recently added byLaurasReading, TeresaKander

Complicated, dark and twisted. Booker has no idea what he has gotten himself into this time.
You will appreciate this best if you have read the previous books in the series (all 5 star reads) but there is enough disclosed that you will follow along if you pay attention.
WOW - is there some deep stuff to focus on!
When Booker gave up his cop job and opened a P.I. business he didn't expect it to be more dangerous than laying his life on the line daily. He pictured boring stake outs, stale coffee and occasional paperwork. There is never getting away from the paperwork. For that he has the lovely assistant, partner, what-is-her-role Alisa whose talents and skills seem to grow in each novel.

This book has a number of different cases, seemingly with nothing in common, that actually do, in a twisted sort of way, tie back decades to the President Kennedy assassination. As you read you will also find mentions of books, tv shows and events that will spark your memories. Very very complex but oh so good!
I appreciated that we get an inside look into the killer's mind and a look at a way of life that I never want to experience first hand. It was scary enough being there in my mind with this book!

We also see the personal side of Booker, with scenes featuring his daughter, her mother, her mother's new boyfriend... you get the idea. New characters are introduced that I hope we spend more time with in future books in this series. It is not for the feint of heart but well worth the dangerous time invested.
A great twist on the conspiracy theories surrounding JFK's assassination, and leaves enough unanswered questions that you won't want to miss what comes next.

I did receive a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinions.
I hope I am included for an early look at future books. ( )
  LaurasReading | May 28, 2015 |
This is another wonderful story in the Booker series. With a crime series based in Dallas, it was only a matter of time before Booker found himself involved in something that tied to the Kennedy assassination. And it's not just one case, it's THREE. You'll get sucked in from the first page, and want to keep reading to learn how they are all resolved, and how they all tie together.

We also get a look inside Booker's personal life again this time. We see him interacting with his daughter, her mother and her mother's new boyfriend. We're also introduced to some new characters, and hopefully we'll learn more about them in future installments.

As always, the tense mood of the cases is broken by occasional spots of humor. The author does a great job of making the major characters realistic and people we actually care about.

I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all the opinions above are 100% my own. ( )
  TeresaKander | May 25, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,561,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible