Reckless by Chrissie Hynde

Reckless (edition 2015)

by Chrissie Hynde (Author)

Member:charl08
Title:Reckless
Authors:Chrissie Hynde (Author)
Info:Ebury Press (2015), 320 pages
Collections:2016, Library loans
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Music, musician, Ohio, US, NME, music journalism, drugs

Reckless: My Life as a Pretender by Chrissie Hynde

Interesting rememberances of being at the start of the punk scene and a desire to get a band together. In the first part Chrissie writes in the first part plural: 'we were against the Vietnam war...', 'we felt this..' which was a bit weird. Early adult life dominated by excessive drink and drugs, totally smitten by the bad boys, and the sleazy life, dossing down wherever that ensued, and ultimately ending in the death of two of her band mates. ( )
  LARA335 | Oct 11, 2017 |
I've been a fan of The Pretenders for a long time. I really, really wanted to like this book and unfortunately was left underwhelmed.

It is sort of an up and down book and during the better portions of the book, you can hear Chrissie Hynde reading the book to you because the writing style matches her speaking voice. From time to time in the writing, there are one, two or three word phrases added on to the end of a sentence and written as if spoken in an exclamation manner and when reading these lines, you can hear Hynde throw out those words like the expletive thrown out at the end of her song Precious.

One very interesting aspect of the book deals with the amount of rock royalty shoulders that Hynde has rubbed up against throughout her life, especially in the punk music scene.

It also appears as if Hynde will be writing a follow up because this volume abruptly ends just before the release of their 1984 album Learning to Crawl.

This book will probably be best liked by die hard Chrissie Hynde and Pretenders fans.

EricEllis | Sep 2, 2017 |
I see in other reviews that Chrissie has gotten some flack for various aspects of this book. I just want to go on the record as saying this is one of the better, and more personable, rock autobiographies I've read. I'll admit, I was never much into the Pretenders. I liked their songs well enough, I was just never a rabid fan. My interest in Chrissie stemmed from the fact that she's from my hometown of Akron, Ohio, and also, from everything I'd come to know about her, she seemed like a nice, down-to-earth person. Nothing in this book has swayed me from that opinion. In fact, it's only been reinforced.

Initially, I wanted to read this book at least through the parts about her early childhood growing up in Ohio; however, I soon found myself eagerly reading the entire book. Chrissie has a self-deprecating attitude and a humorous side to her that I found immediately appealing. I found all of her stories and anecdotes amusing and enjoyed reading about how she came to be where she's at today. The hilarity of her line "besides, I'm from Akron," can only be appreciated by those who have first hand experience regarding the Akron-Cleveland divide.

I'm sure there's more to her story than where she ended, but I thought it was a fitting place to end. Her story is still going on today and with the deaths of two of the original members of the band, it was really the only place she could end it. It was done with grace and aplomb, exactly the way she's lived her life. ( )
  DTChantel | Jun 12, 2017 |
Like many, I really wanted to like this memoir. As a fan of the music, I was looking forward to hearing about that. Instead it dragged on about wasted youth. Maybe it was her writing style or a lack of editing. In the end, I could not finish it. A shame. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
This wasn't what I thought it would be, a normal biography and for that reason I was disappointed. I guess that's what I get for not reading the synopsis before starting it. Still pretty cool to have her write about Cleveland/Akron area during the same time period I was growing up there. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
"Life teaches you how to live it,

if you live long enough."

Tony Bennett
To Natalie and Yasmin
The first thing I think of isn't the rubber tires or cars or factories - it's the trees, and they will always be my lasting impression of it.

Chrissie Hynde, for nearly four decades the singer/songwriter/ undisputed leader of the Pretenders, is a justly legendary figure.

Few other rock stars have managed to combine her swagger, sexiness, stage presence, knack for putting words to music, gorgeous voice and just all-around kick-assedness into such a potent and alluring package. From “Tatooed Love Boys” and “Brass in Pocket” to “Talk of the Town” and “Back on the Chain Gang,” her signature songs project a unique mixture of toughness and vulnerability that millions of men and women have related to. A kind of one- woman secret tunnel linking punk and new wave to classic guitar rock, she is one of the great luminaries in rock history.

Now, in her no-holds-barred memoir Reckless, Chrissie Hynde tells, with all the fearless candor, sharp humor and depth of feeling we’ve come to expect, exactly where she came from and what her crooked, winding path to stardom entailed. Her All-American upbringing in Akron, Ohio, a child of postwar power and prosperity. Her soul capture, along with tens of millions of her generation, by the gods of sixties rock who came through Cleveland—Mitch Ryder, David Bowie, Jeff Back, Paul Butterfield and Iggy Pop among them. Her shocked witness in 1970 to the horrific shooting of student antiwar protestors at Kent State. Her weakness for the sorts of men she calls “the heavy bikers” and “the get-down boys.” Her flight from Ohio to London in 1973 essentially to escape the former and pursue the latter. Her scuffling years as a brash reviewer for New Musical Express, shop girl at the Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood boutique 'Craft Must Wear Clothes But The Truth Loves To Go Naked', first-hand witness to the birth of the punk movement, and serial band aspirant. And then ,at almost the last possible moment, her meeting of the three musicians who comprised the original line-up of The Pretenders, their work on the indelible first album “The Pretenders,” and the rocket ride to “Instant” stardom, with all the disorientation and hazards that involved. The it all comes crashing back down to earth with the deaths of lead guitarist James Honeyman Scott and bassist Peter Farndon, leaving her bruised and saddened, but far from beaten. Because Chrissie Hynde is, among other things, one of rock’s great survivors.

We are lucky to be living in a golden age of great rock memoirs. In the aptly titled Reckless, Chrissie Hynde has given us one of the very best we have. Her mesmerizing presence radiates from every line and page of this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 10 Aug 2015 22:18:28 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,621,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible