Being Nixon: A Man Divided by Evan Thomas

Being Nixon: A Man Divided

by Evan Thomas

Being Nixon was best up to 1968, delivering on its promise of “a radical, unique portrait of a complicated figure who was both determinedly optimistic and tragically flawed.” Although the years of his administration were familiar territory, Nixon changed once he became President, a point acknowledged but not explained by Thomas. And so, “A Man Divided” peaked my curiosity, but left me somewhat unsatisfied. ( )
  mtbass | Dec 30, 2016 |
5345. Being Nixon A Man Divided, by Evan Thomas (read 21 Jan 2016) Even though in July of 1995 I read Stephen Ambrose's three-volume biography of Nixon, I read this book since I believe Evan Thomas is a great narrator of interesting history (this is the 5th book by him which I have read, the others being The Wise Men (read 8 Dec 1991), The Man To See (read 17 Jan 1992), Sea of Thunder (read 18 Aug 2008), and The War Lovers (read 8 Oct 2010). While I always was opposed to Nixon and always when I could voted against him, I found the good things which Thomas says about Nixon valid. Certainly his opening to China was a bold and good step which Republicans would have screamed against if it had been done by a Democrat. He clearly flubbed up in failing to end the Vietnam War sooner than he did. The account of Watergate is well done and exciting to read, even though we are all so familiar with that spectacle. I did not find an uninteresting page in this well-written and well -researched book. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Jan 21, 2016 |
This is an amazing psychological profile of Richard Nixon that looks at his childhood influences, his growth into an adult and his career in politics. The author shows the reader how Watergate was not just a fluke in his career, but the culmination of his weaknesses and the choices he made that led him to take steps that destroyed his presidency. It is a frightening look at a man who should never have been elected president, and was twice, with the largest majority in history for his second term, but who was so driven by his insecurities and fears that he engaged in conduct that was both immoral and illegal on a consistent basis. This is a wonderful and insightful look at history. ( )
1 vote Susan.Macura | Dec 9, 2015 |
To my daughters
Louisa and Mary
(Introduction) Richard Nixon loved the movies.
In May of 1929, the Latin Club of Whittier High School celebrated Virgil's two thousandth birthday with a banquet and a production of the story if Aeneas and Dido from the Aeneid .

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible