My Year of Running Dangerously: A Dad, a…

My Year of Running Dangerously: A Dad, a Daughter, and a Ridiculous Plan

by Tom Foreman

Very enjoyable book, perhaps especially to athletes, and those addicted to endurance sports, as this book is about just that: an 18-year old daughter asks her dad if he'd like to train for a marathon with her, which he does, and then goes on to train for and run an ultra marathon, and to write about it. I "read" it via Aubible.com, despite my aversion to books read by their authors. In this case, the author/narrator does a remarkable job (perhaps because the author, in his day job, is a broadcast journalist). Inspiring, in parts laugh-out-loud funny, and touching, particularly the father-daughter stuff...I wanted to give 4-1/2 stars, but couldn't... anyway, very enjoyable... ( )
  DavidO1103 | Apr 21, 2016 |
Listening to the audio, READ by Tom Foreman, was absolutely terrific!! I know next to nothing about running except for the runners going past where I live. Tom gives you himself---all the way through this incredible experience of what to most of us seems like an overwhelming undertaking, which he extended beyond the marathon with his daughter! Yes, he had always run, but his descriptions of his efforts to just keep going, "one foot in front of the other," made me gasp, laugh out loud, and be just plain amazed. I think listening to this was probably much more rewarding than reading his book simply because he was right there, expressing exactly how he felt all the way along and you could just plain feel it in his voice. ( )
  nyiper | Feb 12, 2016 |
One of the most entertaining running books that I've read. Really enjoyed it!! ( )
  gail616 | Jan 31, 2016 |
My Year of Running Dangerously is subtitled "a dad, a daughter, and a ridiculous plan." Tom Foreman's online bio says, "he is an avid ultra-marathoner," This book bridges the gap between "ridiculous plan" and "avid ultra-marathoner." It tells the story of how a man in his fifties rediscovers his love of running and goes beyond what he could even have imagined. Informative and inspiring, the book takes me through a situation I (and most people!) will never experience first hand.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2015/09/my-year-of-running-dangerously-dad.html

Reviewed for the Penguin First to Read program ( )
  njmom3 | Sep 19, 2015 |

As a journalist whose career spans three decades, CNN correspondent Tom Foreman has reported from the heart of war zones, riots, and natural disasters. He has interviewed serial killers and been in the line of fire. But the most terrifying moment of his life didn't occur on the job--it occurred at home, when his 18-year old daughter asked, "How would you feel about running a marathon with me?"

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:48:39 -0400)

"CNN correspondent Tom Foreman's remarkable journey from half-hearted couch potato to ultra-marathon runner, with four half-marathons, three marathons, and 2,000 miles of training in between; a poignant and warm-hearted tale of parenting, overcoming the challenges of age, and quiet triumph. As a journalist whose career spans three decades, CNN correspondent Tom Foreman has reported from the heart of war zones, riots, and natural disasters. He has interviewed serial killers and been in the line of fire. But the most terrifying moment of his life didn't occur on the job--it occurred at home, when his 18-year old daughter asked, 'How would you feel about running a marathon with me?' At the time, Foreman was approaching 51 years old, and his last marathon was almost 30 years behind him. The race was just sixteen weeks away, but Foreman reluctantly agreed. Training with his daughter, who had just started college, would be a great bonding experience, albeit a long and painful one. My Year of Running Dangerously is Foreman's journey through four half-marathons, three marathons, and one 55-mile race. What started as an innocent request from his daughter quickly turned into a rekindled passion for long-distance running--for the training, the camaraderie, the defeats, and the victories. Told with honesty and humor, Foreman's account captures the universal fears of aging and failure alongside the hard-won moments of triumph, tenacity, and going further than you ever thought possible."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible