My Wilderness: An Alaskan Adventure by…

My Wilderness: An Alaskan Adventure

by Claudia McGehee

This retelling of a young boy's adventure in Alaska is a nice connection between past and present. This book includes a Common Core Teacher's Guide and loads of relatable elements throughout the adventure. This would be a great companion to story-telling, adventure writing, and questioning. The author created a book trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VglB5ksvYvE) that could be used to guide students through making predictions before reading the actual story. The illustrations in this book would make an amazing connection to the role of art and images in a book; perhaps a lesson in mediums and student art crafted from permanent markers and water color. The author also has a board on Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/claudiamcgehee/my-wilderness-an-alaskan-adventure/) with lots of relevant links to related Alaska history and art. ( )
  frozenteacher | Apr 7, 2016 |
Beautiful writing and illustrations. Inspiring, calming.
Includes Author's Note with photos of Rocky and his father and an educator's guide. ( )
  bookwren | May 26, 2015 |
Fox Island sits off the coast of Alaska, one of many islands sturng through the waters like jewels in an emerald necklace. It is a rugged, wild place. Otter and seal play on its shorelines. Eagles hover high above the cliffs.

No one lives on Fox Island anymore. Stormy weather and tricky ocean currents make it difficult to reach most of the year. When I was nin years old, I lived one winter on Fox Island, with my father, an old trapper named Olson, six blue fox, a family of angora goats, and Squirlie. This is what happened.
For Jenny and her Alaska boys - Andy, Ben, and Jim
Father liked to visit snow-covered lands carved out long ago from the ice and sea.
Mr. Olson was an old frontiersman, gnarled like driftwood, but kindly in face and spirit.
Island life was simple. // Mostly, I explored.
Early spring dripped from our cabin's windowsill.
Our last day on Fox Island, I sat next to the water's edge, saying good-bye to my wilderness home. I listened to the island so I could remember it better.

"Recounts the 1918-1919 winter spent on Alaska's Fox Island from the point of view of 9-year-old Rocky, son of the painter Rockwell Kent II"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible