A Round-Heeled Woman by Jane Juska

A Round-Heeled Woman (edition 2004)

by Jane Juska

Member:Rita1948
Title:A Round-Heeled Woman
Authors:Jane Juska
Info:Villard (2004), Paperback, 288 pages

A Round-Heeled Woman: My Late-Life Adventures in Sex and Romance by Jane Juska

rare treat: A rare treat, there isn't much I can say that other reviewers haven't already...Save read it.(And buy a copy; she says the royalties help immensely.) Jane Juska's an inspiring find. Her courage, wit and warmth will stay with you long after the book's finished.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
"Before I turn 67 - next March - I would like to have a lot of sex with a man I like. If you want to talk first, Trollope does it for me". So reads the eye-catching & intriguing personal ad Jane Juska put in the New York Times.

This is a memoir, not only of those dates, some good, most absolutely dire. But Jane intersperses her search for a man who will stimulate her mind as well as body (and offer accommodation while she falls for New York culture) with recall of her childhood, years as an inspired teacher, in school and prison, and her lousy mothering skills.

She is a talented, funny, self-deprecating writer, brutally honest and rather vulnerable, and seemingly a glutton for punishment flying from California to her New York dates and pursuing terrier-like some very odd guys.

I would be interested to find out what her analyst makes of her (and yes, she'd like a date with him too). ( )
  LARA335 | Jan 29, 2014 |
I liked the sequel better. I think Juska learned about writing by writing this book. A lot of background history that didn't do much but take up space. It was interesting, but mostly whiny and sad. Maybe if I had read them in order, I would have been happier. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Interesting concept. Older woman advertises for sex and then writes about her experiences - just didn't like her style of writing. She tried to be light-hearted about it but just didn't pull it off. I wonder if she told the men she slept with (or tried to sleep with) knew they were going in a book?
  sally906 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Memoir of a 66 year old woman looking for good sex and possibly and relationship. Funny and poignant. ( )
  Marzia22 | Apr 3, 2013 |

“Round-heeled” is an old-fashioned label for a woman who is promiscuous—someone who nowadays might be called “easy.” It’s a surprising way for a cultured English teacher with a passion for the novels of Anthony Trollope to describe herself, but then that’s just the first of many surprises to be found in this poignant, funny, utterly unique memoir. Jane Juska is a smart, energetic divorcée who decided she’d been celibate too long, and placed the following personal ad in her favorite newspaper, The New York Review of Books:

Before I turn 67—next March—I would like to have a lot of sex with a man I like. If you want to talk first, Trollope works for me.

This closing reference was a nod to her favorite author, of course. The response was overwhelming, and Juska took a sabbatical from teaching to meet some of the men who had replied. And since her ad made it clear that she wasn’t expecting just hand-holding, her dates zipped from first base to home plate in record time.

Juska is a totally engaging, perceptive writer, funny and frank about her exploits. It’s high time someone revealed the fact that older single people are as eager for sex and intimacy as their younger counterparts. Jane Juska’s brave, honest memoir will probably raise eyebrows and blood pressure, but it will undoubtedly appeal to the very large audience of grown-up readers who will be fascinated and inspired by her daring adventure.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:36 -0400)

""Round-heeled" is an old-fashioned label for a woman who is promiscuous - someone who nowadays might be called "easy." It's a surprising way for a cultured English teacher with a passion for the novels of Anthony Trollope to describe herself, but then that's just the first of many surprises to be found in this poignant, funny, utterly unique memoir. Jane Juska is a smart, energetic divorcee who decided she'd been celibate too long, and placed the following personal ad in her favorite newspaper, The New York Review of Books: Before I turn 67 - next March - I would like to have a lot of sex with a man I like. If you want to talk first, Trollope works for me." "This closing reference was a nod to her favorite author, of course. The response was overwhelming, and Juska took a sabbatical from teaching to meet some of the men who had replied. And since her ad made it clear that she wasn't expecting just hand-holding, her dates zipped from first base to home plate in record time."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible