Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie…

Baking: From My Home to Yours

by Dorie Greenspan

(2) 1 list (1) baking (117) Baking and Cooking (1) biscuits (1) BN (1) BPL (1) bread (1) c (2) cakes (7) chocolate (1) cookbook (91) cookery (5) cookies (5) cooking (44) culinary (3) desserts (21) dorie (2) fantasy (1) food (21) for review (1) General (1) ice cream (1) NF (1) non-fiction (17) recipes (10) reference (1) sugar (1) tarts (1) to-read (7)

Fantastic cookbook for baking and other treats. The chocolate armagnac cake is delish! ( )
  lesmel | May 18, 2013 |
No doubt I'm going to need to own this one- too many good recipes to try in the checkout/renewal time I get from the library!! ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is an absolute masterpiece among baking books. Dorie is a very talented chef and writer, and her recipes are as clearly laid out as they are delicious. She includes sidebars for how to plan ahead (if a given recipe can be prepared up to a certain point and then frozen, or how long it will keep and how it should be stored), and lots of variations for many of the recipes. Ingredients, equipment needed, and yield are all clearly marked. Her anecdotes in the introductions to each recipe are heartwarming and often funny. The pictures are gorgeous and the food is styled beautifully without intimidating the average home baker into thinking the results are unattainable. I have made dozens of the recipes and have only been disappointed once - the Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread on page 127 and I are not on speaking terms, but the rest of the recipes are excellent enough to far outweigh one bad one.

A few favorites: the chocolate chip cookies on p. 68 (these are thin, chewy, and the sugar gets almost caramelized.... so good!), sugar topped molasses spice cookies (p. 77), world peace cookies (p. 138), rugelach (p. 150 - these are the best rugelach ever, and I'm a jew from Brooklyn, so take my word for it), perfect party cake (p. 250), tarte tatin (p. 312), chocolate-crunched caramel tart (p. 355 - this is so good I can't make it anymore, because I will eat it all), and the cranberry-lime galette (p. 364 - try it as an unconventional thanksgiving dessert option).

This book is so huge and encyclopedic that even after all the dishes I've tried, I feel like I've barely made a dent. This is always one of the books I browse first whenever I feel like baking something. ( )
  agirlnamedfury | Mar 30, 2013 |
This has become my go-to baking book for everyday and special occasions. Dorie has great recipes for the basics and for complicated cakes and pastries and desserts. I can't say everything I've made has come out great- I'm not that good a baker- but I can handle most of the stuff in here and most of it has come out fine if not fantastic. A little baking experience helps- I wouldn't call this a beginner book- but she explains most of what you need to know. ( )
  bostonbibliophile | Jul 26, 2012 |
I've only made a handful of recipes so far, but I've loved everything. My favorite as yet is the banana chocolate marble cake. I love the number and variety of recipe, including desserts that aren't strictly 'baking' such as ice cream. I love that there are ideas for variations for every recipe. I also love the conversational tone--directions such as "don't worry if..." The only fault I can find with the book is that there aren't photos for every recipe. ( )
  nicole_a_davis | Mar 9, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618443363, Hardcover)

In Baking with Julia (Child, of course) and Desserts by Pierre Hermé, Dorrie Greenspan gave voice to other baking experts while ensuring their recipes worked. Now, in Baking: From My Home to Yours, she steps fully onstage with a collection of 230-plus immediately attractive recipes ranging from breakfast sweets, cakes, and tarts to puddings, custards, ice creams, and crisps. This is homey, eminently doable baking that encompasses the more familiar, like sugar-topped molasses spice cookies, pecan sticky buns, and lemon tart, but also includes the temptingly original, such as Devil’s Food White-Out Cake, Coconut-Roasted Pineapple Dacquoise, and Toasted Almond Scones. Her cookie selection, which offers the standout Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops, is particularly good, as is her brownie group, a mini-chapter featuring a very edible espresso cheesecake variation.

Greenspan knows her stuff, of course, but it's her droll, anecdotal style (readers learn, for example how a chocolate cake got her fired) and her recipe-making expertise that sets the book apart. Precise descriptions of the baked goods--a pound cake, for example, is said to have a "moist, tightly knit crumb"--help readers understand baking anatomy. Equally exact, and reassuring, are her recipe guideposts--she notes, for example, that rubbing butter into the dry ingredients when making a biscuit recipe will result in "pea-size pieces, pieces the size of oatmeal flakes, and pieces the size of everything in between." With recipe variations and enticing color photos, the book will inspire--and inform--baking novices and experts alike. --Arthur Boehm

Recipe Excerpts from Baking: From My Home to Yours

Toasted Almond Scones
Granola Grabbers

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:19 -0400)

Offers more than three hundred of the author's favorite recipes, including split-level pudding, gingered carrot cookies, and fold-over pear torte, and provides baking tips and a glossary.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,211,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible