dismiss

Shallow graves by Kali Wallace

Shallow graves

by Kali Wallace

After waking in a shallow grave, Breezy, a high school senior, crosses the country seeking answers about her death and resurrection, discovering along the way a host of supernatural creatures, as well as a human cult determined to "free" them at any cost.

This concept of death and the monsters that roam the earth right underneath our very eyes, AWESOME. the writing is real, contemporary and for a fantasy genre, I really felt comfortable with the realistic fiction elements. I just love, love , love this book. It totally had me on the edge of ,my seat and guessing who did what! I hope there is a sequels and that says as lot from the dude that is over the never ending sequels in YA ! HEY, did I say I loved this story, okay just making sure you go that! ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
This was tough to rate. While I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I expected. I liked the beginning and the end but..it (slightly) lost my interest somewhere in the middle. It seemed to be going one way then branched off in a different direction only to return to the original path at the end and there were still a few loose ends left over.
Despite all of that, I will say that it is a compelling read and the lack of romance was refreshing.
Shallow Graves certainly does deliver on the creep factor and has enough mystery to keep you entertained. Plus the cover is beautiful so it's worth it!

maebri | Mar 10, 2020 |
I always feel vaguely confused when I come across a YA book that's genuinely good nowadays. Which is an obnoxious thing to say, I know, but the vast majority of the YA I read is terrible. I enjoy the terribleness. So a pretty good YA book like Shallow Graves is just plain perplexing. Like, what do I do with this now?

Shallow Graves dodges a lot of common YA pitfalls. There's no romance or love interest, which is beyond refreshing. Our protagonist, Breezy, may have an annoyingly stupid name, but Breezy herself is a fully developed and realized character. She doesn't always make the best decisions, but those decisions are always understandable. About a quarter of the way through, I could feel the plot beginning to slow and stagnate. Ah, here we go, I thought. Here's where the book gets bad. Instead, the plot immediately launches off in a totally different and really interesting direction that I wouldn't have predicted.

The book ends on an unresolved note, but I don't mind if Shallow Graves ends up as a standalone novel. The unresolvedness somehow fits the story. This isn't a book about Breezy's entire journey, but about her beginning. Part of that beginning means lots of unanswered questions.

I will say that Wallace's menagerie of monsters feels a little overstuffed. The book could stand to have some trimming and simplification in that area. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Every now and then I read a book that both hooks me, and completely confuses me. Shallow Graves was one of those books. While the concept was fresh, and interesting, there was always this air of unanswered questions hanging over the whole thing. Let's just say that I'm still on the fence about this one.

First off, I have a lot of love for Breezy as a character. She was honest, smart, focused, and best of all she wasn't afraid to question her existence. For a reanimated character, she had a lot of lush backstory. Specifically, I loved that she hadn't forgotten her family. It added an extra depth to the story, and made it so that she didn't completely lose all of her humanity. I actually felt for her. Which is good, since she was technically a "monster" of sorts.

The further good news is that, despite how confused I was at times, there was enough forward movement to keep me reading. If nothing else, I kept wanting to read on to see if more of Breezy's past and present would be explored. The little tidbits that were thrown in, like how she wanted to be an astronaut, and had worked so hard only to leave that behind, were amazing.

The downside of this lack of explanation, obviously, was that there were always these unanswered questions hanging around in my head as I read. I just kept desperately hoping that everything would tie up by the ending. Sadly, it really didn't. I don't mind being left in the dark, as a reader. I'll follow blindly, as long as everything is resolved at some point. Unfrotunately, that didn't happen here. It was a little disappointing.

Overall, this was a good story. It had a unique and interesting premise, it just needed a bit more in the execution department. I liked Breezy. I enjoyed watching her navigate her new and confusing existence, and I'd happily follow her into another story. Next time, I just hope there's more resolution. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
I don't know about this book it was just okay.
A year after her death Breezy finds herself crawling out of her grave in a non-zombie fashion. The man who finds her is suddenly shocked into death by the touch of her hands but he wasn't just an innocent bystander. She could tell that it wasn't his first time dealing with a dead body in fact he probably caused the death of a few somebodies at some point. As she navigates around the country Breezy finds a surprising amount of killers on the streets, some whom no one would ever suspect. Stuck being unable to eat, sleep, or die she sets out looking for a purpose. What she finds is a crazy cult, people with just as weird characteristics as hers, and a secret hidden from humans for thousands of years.
I apologize for that terrible summary but it's the best way I could wrap my head around this plot. After reading this I thought it was good but the more I thought about it the more I got confused. Before I started reading I was under the impression it was going to be a swashbuckling thrilling adventure into the new realms of being a revenant but was given a thriller fantasy novel. But the problem is that I wasn't thrilled. There was little mystery surrounding the death of our protagonist because I had the same two suspects, one of which was a throwaway character that I dismissed shortly after she was never mentioned again. I didn't get that sense of urgency when she had her close encounter with the cult and the hidden world from humans sounded just as silly as she felt it was.
The more I think about it the less I like it. It's not a bad book but I didn't have the right mindset to read it. It's a good light thriller but not as 'edge-of-your-seat reading' as I'd like it to be. ( )
  Jessika.C | Jul 15, 2016 |
For my parents
The first time I killed a man it was an accident.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,230,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible