Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Shallow graves by Kali Wallace

Shallow graves

by Kali Wallace

1941389,009 (3.87)3

Every now and then I read a book that both hooks me, and completely confuses me. Shallow Graves was one of those books. While the concept was fresh, and interesting, there was always this air of unanswered questions hanging over the whole thing. Let's just say that I'm still on the fence about this one.

First off, I have a lot of love for Breezy as a character. She was honest, smart, focused, and best of all she wasn't afraid to question her existence. For a reanimated character, she had a lot of lush backstory. Specifically, I loved that she hadn't forgotten her family. It added an extra depth to the story, and made it so that she didn't completely lose all of her humanity. I actually felt for her. Which is good, since she was technically a "monster" of sorts.

The further good news is that, despite how confused I was at times, there was enough forward movement to keep me reading. If nothing else, I kept wanting to read on to see if more of Breezy's past and present would be explored. The little tidbits that were thrown in, like how she wanted to be an astronaut, and had worked so hard only to leave that behind, were amazing.

The downside of this lack of explanation, obviously, was that there were always these unanswered questions hanging around in my head as I read. I just kept desperately hoping that everything would tie up by the ending. Sadly, it really didn't. I don't mind being left in the dark, as a reader. I'll follow blindly, as long as everything is resolved at some point. Unfrotunately, that didn't happen here. It was a little disappointing.

Overall, this was a good story. It had a unique and interesting premise, it just needed a bit more in the execution department. I liked Breezy. I enjoyed watching her navigate her new and confusing existence, and I'd happily follow her into another story. Next time, I just hope there's more resolution. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This concept of death and the monsters that roam the earth right underneath our very eyes, AWESOME. the writing is real, contemporary and for a fantasy genre, I really felt comfortable with the realistic fiction elements. I just love, love , love this book. It totally had me on the edge of ,my seat and guessing who did what! I hope there is a sequels and that says as lot from the dude that is over the never ending sequels in YA ! HEY, did I say I loved this story, okay just making sure you go that! ( )
  MrNattania | Jul 29, 2018 |
I don't know about this book it was just okay.
A year after her death Breezy finds herself crawling out of her grave in a non-zombie fashion. The man who finds her is suddenly shocked into death by the touch of her hands but he wasn't just an innocent bystander. She could tell that it wasn't his first time dealing with a dead body in fact he probably caused the death of a few somebodies at some point. As she navigates around the country Breezy finds a surprising amount of killers on the streets, some whom no one would ever suspect. Stuck being unable to eat, sleep, or die she sets out looking for a purpose. What she finds is a crazy cult, people with just as weird characteristics as hers, and a secret hidden from humans for thousands of years.
I apologize for that terrible summary but it's the best way I could wrap my head around this plot. After reading this I thought it was good but the more I thought about it the more I got confused. Before I started reading I was under the impression it was going to be a swashbuckling thrilling adventure into the new realms of being a revenant but was given a thriller fantasy novel. But the problem is that I wasn't thrilled. There was little mystery surrounding the death of our protagonist because I had the same two suspects, one of which was a throwaway character that I dismissed shortly after she was never mentioned again. I didn't get that sense of urgency when she had her close encounter with the cult and the hidden world from humans sounded just as silly as she felt it was.
The more I think about it the less I like it. It's not a bad book but I didn't have the right mindset to read it. It's a good light thriller but not as 'edge-of-your-seat reading' as I'd like it to be. ( )
  Jessika.C | Jul 15, 2016 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.
allthingsuf.com

Breezy is many things. She could be described variously as a teenager, undead, biracial, bisexual... And yet, she is most strongly and ferociously herself. She is a scientist. She is disciplined. She truly is the type of person who devotes herself to a profession and works from a young age to reach the stars.

And it is this beautifully drawn depth of character that allows the reader to immerse themselves into this dark and unknown world alongside our own. The realism of her experiences make even the most fantastical elements of her life emotionally resonant. Breezy's scientific mindset that allows her to catalog and explore her undeath, even as she tries to process the unimaginable grief of her own death. The losses pile up, her family, her professional aspirations, her future... all either lost forever or changed so radically as to be unrecognizable. The mundane mystery of her own death felt harder to believe than Breezy's grief that she will never become an astronaut, as somehow the emotional state of an undead teenage becomes more visceral than the petty evils that do exist in real life.

While Breezy explores the world around her through a scientific lense, SHALLOW GRAVES doesn't feel dry or clinical. Rather, this oh so human attempt to build a rational concept of this new dark, unexpected world made the most fantastical elements feel real. While the world building has strengths and weaknesses, the main character rock solid. I enjoyed this book, but above and beyond that, I loved Breezy.

Sexual content: References to sex. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 12, 2016 |
On my list of Best Zombies in YA, Shallow Graves ranks high, right after The Reapers Are the Angels and Raising Stony Mayhall.

I enjoy the playgrounds located in gray zones, especially when there's a killer who only murders other killers. (Think: Dexter Morgan or John Cleaver as popular examples.) Are they good for ridding the world of evil-doers? Is what they're doing righteous in some twisted way? Is murder ever justified, morally or ethically?

In Shallow Graves, the monster with a conscience is a 17-year-old girl who just so happens to be sorta, kinda, but not all the way dead. Her name is Breezy, she's half-Chinese, half-Irish, bisexual, and she wants to be an astronaut on the first manned mission to Mars. Or, at least, she was all those things when she was alive, back when she was human, before she was a zombie who craves killers, not brains.

Recommended to readers who want a dark fantasy with horrorish elements, who don't mind an occasional non-linear timeline, who want to read something with little to no romance, and/or just plain want something different than the usual mainstream YA book.

4 stars (Whatever Wallace writes next, I'm excited to read it.)

P.S. I don't think this book needs a sequel but I would love to read a companion novel (or three). The world-building is solid; the characters are there, waiting. Breezy, Zeke, Jake, Violet, Esme, Lyle, Mother, even Rain -- potentially endless storylines to explore.

---------------------------
[Note to editors - in hardcover edition published January 2016:
"I'm not a serial killer, I'm promise." should be I not I'm (p. 11)
"She thinks I'm going become a vengeful murderer who kills..." missing to between going and become (p. 175)
"I wasn't even sure if I could believe that it was question without an answer." missing a between was and question (p. 176)
"It was compact and low, creeping close the ground." missing to between the and ground (p. 185)] ( )
  flying_monkeys | Mar 23, 2016 |
For my parents
The first time I killed a man it was an accident.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 26 Aug 2015 23:55:15 -0400)

After waking in a shallow grave, Breezy, a high school senior, crosses the country seeking answers about her death and resurrection, discovering along the way a host of supernatural creatures, as well as a human cult determined to "free" them at any cost.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,485,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible