The Ugly Stepsister by Aya Ling

The Ugly Stepsister

by Aya Ling

The main character, Kat, accidentally tears a page out of an old fairy tale book she found in the attic, and gets transported into the world of Cinderella. When she gets there, she finds out that she is one of the Ugly Stepsisters. Funny thing is, the other stepsister isn't ugly at all, she is almost super model pretty. Another weird thing is that Ella (or Cinderella) actually has a family and is not an orphan. The more Kat finds out, the story is more messed up than she could remember. Kat actually finds that the prince is attracted to her no matter how hard she tries to make him not like her. She tries and tries as hard as she can to return back to her real world, where she is the complete opposite person as she is in the story. The "Ugly Stepsister" has many twists and turns, and can be nothing like the original Cinderella.
I absolutely loved this book. It was a twisted fairy tale, which is my absolute favorite type of book. I am anticipating reading the next two books in the series. I gave it a five stars for those two reasons. Not to mention, the funny situations the main character went through. I would be completely happy recommending this book to any friend or peer. I hope that other people enjoy it as much as I did. ( )
  JasminA.B4 | Jun 1, 2017 |
"4.5 out of 5 stars! Typical shy seventeen-year-old Kat (Katherine/Katriona) transforms into a confident young lady after being sent into the Cinderella story-world because she fell and accidentally "broke" the Goblin kings book. Her only way home or back to her family and her "reality" is by insuring the Prince's (Edward) happily-ever-after. But with her being thrown into the "ugly stepsister" role, finding that her "sister" is model-worthy gorgeous, and that she suspects her maid (Elle) is really Cinderella yet she's without proof, Kat isn't sure how she'll accomplish her goal of getting home. Nevertheless, she's determined no matter what obstacles or lovelorn hearts get in the way...

I LOVED this novel!!! I just wish that the scenes after the happily-ever-after happen could have been a bit more magical, I suppose, as if those scenes were more magical than I'd definitely have given it the full 5 stars. However..."

Read more of this review and THREE TEASERS here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2015/06/feasted-on-ugly-stepsister-by-... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
I have always enjoyed fairytale retellings. Honestly, I had a good time with the THE UGLY STEPSISTER days and plan to tell my daughter and wife that this is one I recommend as it was so fun to read a whole new take on Cinderella.

I was immediately drawn to Kat, who LOVES to read and when her old picture book rips apart in her hands she is forced to play out a story and make sure she gets the characters to a Happily ever Ending.She is cast in the role of one of the ugly stepsisters, but she is anything but ugly. She is a bit of a clutz, but she's loyal and caring. She doesn't like how some of her new friends are treated and goes to bat for them. She has an instant connection with the prince, but really wants to go home and she knows he is supposed to marry Cinderella.

Kat has a different take on her new time. She's not going to put up with the way the Kingdom deals with child labor, their attitude towards women etc.Because she's from a different time she has a whole new way of thinking and it really made her character stick out. The romance between her and Prince Edward was sweet, but not over done. I enjoyed the supporting cast of characters and was rooting for Henry and the others to get their happiness.
I did have one issue with THE UGLY STEPSISTER, I and others apparently didn't love the ending.I don't want to spoil it for you but there really wasn't a happily ever after for Kat and Edward. That doesn't mean I didn't love the story and I don't want to go to much into it because that would spoil it, but I was hoping for more in the way the story ended. Would I read it again? Oh yea, like with another book CINDER,by another author I love, I want to see a movie about the ugly stepsister.
Way to go Ava.

Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Dec 9, 2015 |
For more reviews go to: http://best-of-ya.blogspot.com/

When Kat accidentally transports herself into one of her old fairytale books as Cinderella’s ugly step-sister, she finds herself in quite the predicament. The only way to get home is ensure that the story ends as it should—with a happily ever after. Unfortunately for her, the rest of the characters don’t seem to be playing along; she has no idea where the fairy godmother is hiding, the handsome prince seems to hate all the attention that comes with his status, her beautiful sister is dead set on becoming queen, and if all of that weren’t enough, Cinderella has her eyes set on someone else. How is Kat supposed to make sure the story runs smoothly and still learn how to navigate the social season as a highborn lady?

I am not a huge fan of retellings because I feel like they all end up being the same so I almost didn’t bother reading this. And omg, how horrible would that have been? Because I honestly loved everything about this! I think that just the small change of making this from the ugly stepsisters perspective added so much to the story. But that isn’t even the best part. The characters were so well-written and amazing. I loved every single one of them—even the actual evil, stepsister.

Kat predictably started off as shy and clumsy but quickly turned into the brave heroine. It was great seeing her grow and become assertive and bold. She challenges various issues in the fairy tale world including child labor and sexism. I thought it was funny how everyone is either impressed or scandalized by her behavior and was happy that she felt the need to do something about these injustices despite knowing she wouldn’t be in Athelia long. Prince Edward is very down-to-earth and passionate about his position, despite the fact that he doesn’t like all the attention that comes along with being the crown prince. He was so cute and sweet and understanding—I just loved him.

Another thing I really liked was the distinction between Kat’s voice and that of all the other fairy tale characters. They really sounded like they came straight out of a fairy tale while she had a modern vocabulary—it was very comical at times. Eventually she kind of starts to sound like them, but there was always that modern slang that confused the hell out of everyone else.

This is by far one of my favorites and I hope Aya continues to write such amazing and strong female characters! The only thing I would change about this is the cover. The current one does not do this justice and I think this is definitely deserving of a prettier and more magical one. ( )
  joanab951 | Nov 16, 2015 |
I received a copy of this book through librarything.com member giveaway for an honest review. I really liked the concept and was really excited to read it, but I just couldn't connect with Kat and couldn't really get into it. It was a cute story and great idea though. ( )
  Noodles15 | Aug 17, 2015 |
This book was amazing!! Totally got my attention i love anything cinderella and this book completely won me over and was so well written. I Love the characters in this book and the fact that you can just fall into a book, we all seem to do this in real life us book worms and it was lovely to read it happening in the book! I sincererally do hope so much that aya lings book does really well and as im just starting out with reading again i will defintaly be collecting all of her books. Buy and read her books this one was great!!!!!!!! Thank you Aya .. Cant wait for the day i can get a real physical copy =)

A very different take on Cinderella. Kat is just a typical teenager that gets all tongue tied around boys. She lives with her mom & sister and she needs to get the attic sorted. While doing that she gets called and tears a book by accident. She falls & hits her head. When she wakes she is in a strange bed.

Kat is the ugly step sister and she needs to get Cinderella to marry the prince before she can go home. Kat learns many things and she tries her best to make some changes for the good of the people but she has to remember that she needs to get with the plan as the goblin king won't let her go home until there is a HEA. Kat falls for Edward even though she knows that this is not her home. Edward believes her but he won't just let her go without spending time with her.

The HEA is not what is expected of the fairytale but it works out the way it was meant to and Kat gets her man in the story that is.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Aya Ling's book The Ugly Stepsister was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Aya Ling is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Aya Ling.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible