The reader : sea of ink and gold by Traci…

The reader : sea of ink and gold (edition 2016)

by Traci Chee

Instant New York Times Bestseller A stunning debut set in a world where reading is unheard-of, perfect for fans of Inkheart and Shadow and BoneSefia knows what it means to survive. After her father is brutally murdered, she flees into the wilderness with her aunt Nin, who teaches her to hunt, track, and steal. But when Nin is kidnapped, leaving Sefia completely alone, none of her survival skills can help her discover where Nin's been taken, or if she's even alive. The only clue to both her aunt's disappearance and her father's murder is the odd rectangular object her father left behind, an object she comes to realize is a book--a marvelous item unheard of in her otherwise illiterate society. With the help of this book, and the aid of a mysterious stranger with dark secrets of his own, Sefia sets out to rescue her aunt and find out what really happened the day her father was killed--and punish the people responsible. With overlapping stories of swashbuckling pirates and merciless assassins, The Reader is a brilliantly told adventure from an extraordinary new talent.… (more)
Member:redwritinghood38
Title:The reader : sea of ink and gold
Authors:Traci Chee
Info:New York, NY : G.P. Putnam's Sons, [2016]
Rating:*****

The Reader by Traci Chee

I love this book,let me just start, I have yet to read the next book but judging by the description I'm going to love it.
Traci Chee is a great author and if you don't like her books then I don't know what books you will.
Not only does she respect her 'readers' and 'reviewers' she respects the genre of books of which she writes and that is a dedicated and amazing writer.
THANK YOU FOR WRITING Traci and please,I'm looking for some more to read after this series so if you have more books I don't know about please notify me:)
THANKS FOR READING GOD BLESS!!! ( )
  EvaRob | Aug 10, 2020 |
Lyrical and pretty, with a great audiobook reader. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
This one sat atop my too be read pile for a long time... I read through a lot more middle grade than YA... yet I kept wanting to get to this one. After a few starts & stops I got some devoted time to just get into it & I got the rhythm of the story & really loved it. ( )
  Rachael_SJSU | Jul 11, 2020 |

facebook // twitter // bloglovin // youtube

If ever there was a time I really, really wished I was a teacher already, it’s when I find phenomenal books that I know young adults will love. This is the case with The Reader by Traci Chee. An absolutely brilliant debut by the author, it is intriguing and heart breaking, yet full of hope all at once.

The Reader is extremely well-written, Ms. Chee expertly able to render heartache so moving the reader is brought to tears, yet equally demonstrates skill in the more tender and magical moments. Without her skill, The Reader would not have been effective at all, considering it is a novel built on the premise of learning to read and sharing knowledge via books. Describing the magical, powerful moment when Sefia first teaches herself to read, making it a visual sensation, is breathtaking, especially for someone such as myself that works in a semi to non-literate community. This would be something I would wholeheartedly recommend to the twelve to seventeen year old crowd, but obviously appeals to all ages since it’s just an amazing journey with strong characters. Plus, watching someone, even a fictional character, learn how knowledge and books can be power, can be used as a weapon to defend yourself with is so empowering and inspiring.

Each of the characters are complex and fully developed. Sefia, our main protagonist is marked by her many losses and driven forward, first as a rescue mission, then for vengeance, and finally for answers. She rescues, then befriends Archer, a caged boy forced to fight as part of a mysterious plot. They grow to care for each other, without hesitation or limitations. Sefia’s strength comes not from her anger or bitterness, but her goodness and soft nature. The same can be said of Archer who is an expert killer, seemingly against his own will.

If you’re a fan of Leigh Bardugo’s work, you will definitely fall in love with The Reader by Traci Chee. The writing is great, the action fantastic, and our two main characters just leave me wanting to keep them safe and happy and warm in blankets with cocoa.

// I received this title for free in exchange for an honest review // ( )
  heylu | Jan 8, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Hello. If you're reading this, then maybe you know you ought to read everything. And maybe you know you ought to read deeply. Because there's witchery in these words and a spellwork in the spine. And once you know to look for signals in the smoke, for secrets in the sea, then you understand what it is to read. This is a book. You are the reader. Look closer, there's magic here.
Once there was, and one day there will be. This is the beginning of every story.
But being smart was overrated. Being stupid and brave and curious? Now that's something stories are made of.
"It's the same with stories as it is with people," Meeks said, his brown eyes gleaming in the dwindling light of the sunset, "they get better as they get older. But not every story is remembered, and not all people grow old."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,785,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible