Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz

Secret Sisters

by Jayne Ann Krentz

Her novels are getting more depth with the female main. Rather enjoying it ( )
  tabicham | Jul 22, 2017 |
The Secret Sisters in this book are Madeline and Daphne who were best friends until an event in their past disrupts their lives. Years later both of them have been brought together again as Madeline's grandmother dies under suspicious circumstances. Then the caretaker at her old home dies in front of her after a strange phone call where he told her that she must come home to talk with him face to face. Enter Jack, who Madeline's grandmother hired as security consultant for the chain of hotels her family owns. Jack and Madeline become involved as they discover the basis of the mystery surrounding the events of Madeline and Daphne's childhood trauma. This is a decent story with an interesting mystery, but the character development was lacking as was the depth of interaction between the characters. Overall a good, quick read with little underlying emotion. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 28, 2017 |
I like Krentz's contemporary romances so much better than I like her paranormals or 'historicals.' This was one was pretty decent. Good mystery for the most part. However, as always at the end there is monologuing by the 'villain(s)' explaining the mystery and why and how they did what they did. And the hero/heroine are pretty typical of Krentz's work. I don't know why I keep reading her stuff. The dialog is good and her books move along at a good pace. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jun 4, 2017 |
Madeline and Daphne were once the best of friends until a terrible event took place. A man attacks Madeline and, despite the fact that the man would never again bother anyone did Madeline's grandmother close up the hotel she owned and moved with her granddaughter far away.

Now 18 years later Madeline is back at the hotel. Her grandmother is dead and she has to decide what to do with the old hotel. But she must confront the past when the old caretaker of the hotel is brutally murdered. Madeline and Daphne must face the past and find out who is behind the killing and could this person know the truth about what happened 18 years ago?

I was quite looking forward to reading this book as I enjoy reading the historical novels Jayne Ann Krentz writes under the name of Amanda Quick.

I found the beginning of the book promising, with a dark secret that is kept by a little group of people and how someone out there is apparently out to know the truth. What is the secret and who is after Madeline and Daphne?

And, at first, the book was good, easy to get into and a bit intriguing. Unfortunately, the book didn't turn out the way I thought it would. For one thing, everything points to one suspect in the book, and that made me quite sure that all this is a big red herring and that made me look for someone else that could be the big bad wolf instead. Secondly, the couple thing, two men and two women. That bored me. It was so predictable and utterly uninteresting to read about. Perhaps it would have worked better if the characters had been a bit more interesting, but they were flat and their romance just made the reading less engaging.

The story was just not imaginative or suspenseful. It was predictable and it felt like something I read several times before. I was hoping for a story that would enthrall me, but it simply never really did that and the last 50 pages were a real struggle to get through. This book was just not for me.

Thank you Piatkus for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
When I saw the cover and read the synopsis I knew I needed to get my hands on this one. Thank you Penguin for making that happen with an ARC!

The book starts with a glimpse of the dark night that changed everything. The night that lies were buried 6 feet under and bonds were built off secrets. Madeline thinks the nightmares are all she has to deal with now, but a call from the past pulls her right back to that night. Her life is turned upside down when her grandma is murdered and she's left to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Luckily she has Jack... the security agent, AKA hero and Daphne her long lost secret sister.

When the characters go back to the island where it all started they are confronted by a rich island family that are a bunch of crazies. Each one poses as something they aren't, but as Madeline and Jack dig deeper they find out what lies behind each golden face. The two brothers are against one another and the parents hate each other. They put on pretty political faces to get into the white house, but their secrets can only stay hidden for so long.

It was an intense wild ride reading about each character and how they fit together. I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out what in the heck was going on and who was behind it all. I could have guessed that someone was involved, but the others... I had no clue. It was horrifying at times and I loved when I had to look around my dark bedroom checking every corner to make sure the characters weren't jumping off the pages and into my dark space. The eerie feeling of reliving that night and running through the dank hotel were enough to pull me into the story and leave me staying up way past my bed time.

I really enjoyed the Secret Sisters and overall was impressed with the Author's writing. She was able to capture the essence of tragedy and intertwine thrilling suspense, edge of your seat mystery, and passionate romance. My mind was manipulated and while I did like the twists and turns, I couldn't help but crave a darker reveal. I secretly wanted someone closer to Madeline to be involved... Someone that would come in and rock our world with their involvement. With all that being said it was great book that I recommend to all readers.
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
He stood in the shadows of the kitchen and tried to decide which girl he wanted.

No one does romantic suspense better than Jayne Ann Krentz. Now, the New York Times bestselling author of Trust No One and River Road delivers a novel that twists and turns into a read that will leave you breathless.

Madeline and Daphne were once as close as sisters—until a secret tore them apart. Now it might take them to their graves.

They knew his name, the man who tried to brutally attack twelve-year-old Madeline in her grandmother's hotel. They thought they knew his fate. He wouldn't be bothering them anymore...ever. Still their lives would never be the same.

Madeline has returned to Washington after her grandmother's mysterious death. And at the old, abandoned hotel—a place she never wanted to see again—a dying man’s last words convey a warning: the secrets she and Daphne believed buried forever have been discovered.

Now, after almost two decades, Madeline and Daphne will be reunited in friendship and in fear. Unable to trust the local police, Madeline summons Jack Rayner, the hotel chain’s new security expert. Despite the secrets and mysteries that surround him, Jack is the only one she trusts...and wants.

Jack is no good at relationships but he does possess a specific skill set that includes a profoundly intimate understanding of warped and dangerous minds. With the assistance of Jack's brother, Abe, a high-tech magician, the four of them will form an uneasy alliance against a killer who will stop at nothing to hide the truth....

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 01:12:37 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jayne Ann Krentz's book Secret Sisters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible