The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence

The Wheel of Osheim

by Mark Lawrence

A fantastic read once again from Mark Lawrence. ( )
  Deryk_Allan | Dec 23, 2016 |
My rating for this book probably has more to do with my frame of mind while reading it than any actual criticism to the book itself. However I found I just couldn't get into this book. I couldn't focus on it very well and as a result I felt like I kept missing important bits and pieces of information that connected things. The time jump from the end of the last book to the beginning of this book really threw me for a loop which then persisted throughout the rest of my reading. This book will definitely deserve another read at some point in my life when I can pay better attention to it. ( )
  Kassilem | Nov 20, 2016 |
I always say that I really like how Mark Lawrence sets his characters and tells the story. This book is no exception. I enjoyed it very much.

Jalan is complete opposite of Jorge (Prince of Thorns series) and as the story happens in the same era we read that their path collided sometimes.Prince of Thorns was all about Jorge but this series is in my eyes about Jalan and also Builders (us) secrets too. Jalan is not the only hero of this tale, we have Snorri, Kara and even Hennan and Red Queen herself.To me Jalan's story was a side story to Jorge's to reveal more and more about Broken Empire.

I liked it very much; however my favorite book of Mark Lawrence remains King of Thorns ( )
  ardvisoor | Jul 18, 2016 |
This is the third and concluding story of The Red Queen's War featuring Prince Jalan Kendeth, grandson of the Red Queen. He was always mainly interested in the three W's - wine, women, and wagering - but is thrust out into the world but an attempt on the Red Queen's life. In escaping the castle he was very much out of his element but falls in with a Viking by the name of Snorri ver Snagason who teaches him how to fight with a sword and live on the road.

In the third episode we find Snorri in Hel looking for his wife and children and Jal making his way back to Vermillion and enjoying life like before. He is occasionally abruptly hauled into Hel with Snorri and bounced back, no time having passed.

In the first two episodes we get hints of an earlier civilization that existing a thousand years earlier. A circle below the ground is causing the dead to rise and monsters are causing havoc. At the core of this is the Dead King who creates a body to exist in out of body parts. We come to understand that the circle is a particle accelerator that has been humming along with only computer control for the past centuries. Jal is in possession of a key which will admit him into the facility and shut it down. But of course it won't be that easy.

Even though Jal has grown a lot in three books he is still a card by heart and doesn't seem to want to carry on being a hero after all is done. That's OK by me. He is welcome to a comfortable life. But if Mr. Lawrence decides to bring him back to save the kingdom again, I'll be there!
  mamzel | Jun 19, 2016 |

Mark Lawrenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,920,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible