Built by Jay Crownover

This book packs quite the emotional punch throughout the story of Zeb and Sayer who from the outside couldnt be more different but on the inside were two very broken people who's hearts recognizes the other was the glue to put them back together but one wasnt ready to believe and let go of her past filled with emotional abuse.

Zeb Fuller has to be one of the best hero's I've read – certainly the best of 2016. This was a tortured man who loved his sister and the single mom who raised them so much that if anyone hurt either one of them he couldnt be held responsible for his actions. Well that came into play when his sister is beaten badly by her boyfriend and Zeb beats him almost to death and serves two ½ years in prison for an aggravated assault charge. Now 5 years after being released he has done everything in his power to make up for his mistake and created his own construction company from the ground up and hires people like him – ones who made a mistake in life and gives them a second chance by teaching them a worthy skill and offering them employment. He has also been in love with his friends sister since first meeting her but she has a wall of ice inches thick around her heart and refuses to let anyone in. I have never seen a man have as much patience as Zeb showed in waiting for a woman to deal with her demons so they could have a relationship. When he's faced with the knowledge that he produced a son from a one night stand on the day he got out of prison he goes to that woman and asks for her help in getting custody and also with the hope that he will also finally be able to melt some of that exterior of hers and make her see they belong together.

Sayer Cole presented to the world as a tough emotionless lawyer. She'd was raised by a very emotionally abusive father who never showed her an ounce of love. All she knows of love is it made her mother commit suicide so she wants nothing to do with it. Problem is her actions dont show that. When she found out she had a brother – she moved to be with him. When a woman who had suffered a horrible situation – she took her into her home. When a man that scared her because of the feelings he incited in her so she kept at arms length comes to her asking for her help to get his son – she goes does her best to get him.

Not only were the scenes with Sayer and Zeb beautiful but every scene with Zeb's son almost turned me into an emotional mess. From the first page to the last I hung on to the rollercoaster and at the end didnt want to get off. Beautiful story and looking forward to more in this series. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
Built

The Characters:

Sayer Cole
Zeb Fuller

The Story:

I’ve said it before and I’m saying it again this author chooses some weird names. Okay that weirdness aside this was an excellent story.

The Random Thoughts:

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Aug 22, 2016 |
I started listening to this audiobook without realizing that its a series spinoff of Marked Men, which I have not read. Unfortunately, I think you do need to read that series first or you will not understand what is going on with some of these characters, particularly Rowdy, Salem and Poppy. There is a lot of character crossover from the previous series, so it would just give you a better working knowledge of who these people are and what they have been through.

I really liked the hero of this book, Zebulon "Zeb" Fuller. He was tall, tatted, bearded, honest, hard-working and protective. What more could you ask for? While he obviously made a mistake in the past, which landed him in jail, his motives were altruistic. He just didn't think before he acted. Discovering he has a 5 year old son throws a wrench in Zeb's life, and everything becomes about bringing Hyde home. It was great to see a dad wanting to take responsibility for his child, and Hyde was adorable beyond words. The narrator did a great job with Hyde's character.

While I liked Zeb a lot, I didn't really care for the heroine, Sayer Cole. Her insecurities just got to be too much for me. I understand her mother's suicide and extremely critical father made her childhood difficult, but her absolute lack of confidence did not jibe with her legal career for me. She had a dual persona working that confused me when she got to talking about the "real her" that she thought people would not like. Zeb really had the patience of a saint to take Sayer on as a "restoration project" because I would have given up on this girl. Her issues seemed over the top and I got to the point where I didn't much care about her inner monologues.

I may go back to this series after I have read Marked Men... but I am a much bigger fan of the Welcome to the Point books. 3.5 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Entertaining story with sexy romance and relatable characters. I really enjoyed this story and would highly recommend it to romance fans!

Opening Sentence: I met her at a bar.

The Review:

Sayer Cole is a very successful lawyer and she is perfectly content living in her big restored home with her damaged roommate. She doesn’t have time for relationships or at least that is what she keeps telling herself. But when she meets Zeb Fuller she can’t deny the amazing connection she feels whenever she is around him.

Zeb is an ex-convict and he has done everything he can to turn his life around. He is now a very successful contractor and has a pretty stable life. He has good friends, a great family, and he has met the girl of his dreams. The only problem is that Sayer doesn’t seem to be interested in him. He worked on restoring her old house for months and he has tried every move in the book, but either she is clueless that he wants her or she just isn’t interested.

When something from Zeb’s past rocks his world he will need professional help from Sayer to make things right. As they start to spend more time together the attraction between them continues to grow and things start to heat up. But Zeb now has other responsibilities and Sayer has some serious insecurities that could keep them apart. Will they be able to work things out or will they end up going their separate ways?

Sayer is a sweet, gorgeous, and successful woman that I really admired. But she has one huge flaw. Her father did a number on her confidence while she was growing up and it has kept her from having relationships with other people. She doesn’t feel like she is good enough for love because she doesn’t think she is capable of returning it. Her situation was sad but the best thing about Sayer is how everyone can relate to her and her situation on some level. Everyone has felt inadequate at one point or another in their lives and hopefully it isn’t to the extent that Sayer feels, but regardless of how much you have felt this way we all know how it feels to not be good enough. Because of this it is impossible to not develop a connection with her while reading her story.

Zeb is one gorgeous man that I was seriously drooling over. Besides Rule (because no one will ever be able to top Rule) Zeb is my favorite guy Jay has written and if you have read many of her books you will know she writes some very sexy male characters! He is charming, blunt, funny, strong, and kind. He has made his fair share of mistakes but he has learned from them and turned his experience into something he can help and teach others that have found themselves in a similar situation. I can’t help but admire and respect him! Everything about him was hot and sexy, even his beard (and I’m totally not a beard person)! He has easily become one of my new favorite book boys.

Built is a gorgeous, emotional love story that you won’t easily forget. I feel like the best thing about this story is how everyone can connect with it on some level. It covers so many different issues in such a fun and entertaining way. The romance is very steamy and sweet at the same time. The characters are interesting and dynamic. The plot is slightly predictable, but honestly, I expect that when I’m reading a romance novel. Even though this is a new series you get to see a few familiar faces from the Marked Men series, which was fun. If you want a good fun loving story filled with great sexy times, you have to pick up this book!

Notable Scene:

I kissed a boy.

Meaning I initiated it. It was so out of character, so opposite to how I normally behaved, again I felt like someone else was inside of me, controlling my actions. It was like the Sayer before Denver didn’t even exist.

I pulled him to me, planted my mouth over his, and kissed the shit out of him. It was one of the greatest and boldest moments of my life, right next to moving and tracking down my brother.

FTC Advisory: William Morrow/HarperCollins provided me with a copy of Built. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 2, 2016 |

From the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Marked Men books comes an electrifying new spin-off series,Saints of Denver, featuring all the characters fans have been dying to read about.

Sayer Cole and Zeb Fuller couldn’t be more different. She’s country club and fine-dining, he’s cell-block and sawdust. Sayer spends her days in litigation, while Zeb spends his working with his hands. She’s French silk, he’s all denim and flannel.

Zeb’s wanted the stunning blonde since the moment he laid eyes on her. It doesn't matter how many smooth moves he makes, the reserved lawyer seems determinedly oblivious to his interest—either that or she doesn't return it. Sayer is certain the rough, hard, hot-as-hell Zeb could never want someone as closed off and restrained as she is, which is a shame because something tells her he might be the guy to finally melt her icy exterior.

But just as things start to heat up, Zeb is blindsided by a life altering moment from his past. He needs Sayer’s professional help to right a wrong and to save more than himself. He can’t risk what’s at stake just because his attraction to Sayer feels all consuming. But as these opposites dig in for the fight of their lives, battling together to save a family, the steam created when fire and ice collide can no longer be ignored.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 04 Aug 2015 00:54:08 -0400)

"From the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Marked Men books comes an electrifying new spin-off series,Saints of Denver, featuring all the characters fans have been dying to read about. Sayer Cole and Zeb Fuller couldn't be more different. She's country club and fine-dining, he's cell-block and sawdust. Sayer spends her days in litigation, while Zeb spends his working with his hands. She's French silk, he's all denim and flannel. Zeb's wanted the stunning blonde since the moment he laid eyes on her. It doesn't matter how many smooth moves he makes, the reserved lawyer seems determinedly oblivious to his interest either that or she doesn't return it. Sayer is certain the rough, hard, hot-as-hell Zeb could never want someone as closed off and restrained as she is, which is a shame because something tells her he might be the guy to finally melt her icy exterior. But just as things start to heat up, Zeb is blindsided by a life altering moment from his past. He needs Sayer's professional help to right a wrong and to save more than himself. He can't risk what's at stake just because his attraction to Sayer feels all consuming. But as these opposites dig in for the fight of their lives, battling together to save a family, the steam created when fire and ice collide can no longer be ignored"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,607,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible