Remarkable Minds: 17 More Pioneering Women…

Remarkable Minds: 17 More Pioneering Women in Science and Medicine…

by Penny Noyce

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book as much as I enjoyed the first book. These little tidbits of information about female scientists are a great place to find someone you want to learn more about.

Worth reading more than once, but you can let the library store it for you. ( )
  Helcura | Nov 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. Snapshots of 17 women throughout recent history, many of whom managed to defy the restrictions the social conditions of their time imposed upon them to become pioneers in maths and science. It was well researched, with many interesting details... but somehow the stories all came out feeling like the same story, despite the range in circumstances, time, personalities and specialities. I found myself slogging through much of this instead of eagerly devouring.

Ultimately, disappointing. ( )
  tarshaan | Oct 31, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fascinating account of seventeen little-known pioneers in science and math, who also happen to be women covering the 1600s to the end of the 20th century. Although parts were dense, I really enjoyed learning about these brilliant women who defied the odds and social expectations of their time and advanced scientific understanding, sometimes anonymously, sometimes with insufficient credit, and often without the support of established educations or scientific establishment support.

Well worth reading and it makes me want to learn more about these women and others. ( )
  sylliu | Oct 14, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an easy to read book, you can dip in and out of it. Each of the seventeen chapters looks at a different woman pioneer in science. There is a timeline at the start of each chapter which shows when the woman lived in relation to other historical events, making it easier to place her in time. I must admit to not being scientifically inclined, and had never heard of any of the women discussed in this book, but I still found it very interesting. I am glad that it is much easier for women today who have an interest in the sciences. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about women in the sciences. ( )
  bookbatty | Oct 14, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed reading this book highlighting the lives and achievements of a number of women in different areas of science, mathematics and medicine from the 18th century to the 20th. It seemed to me there was a good balance between the research areas and interests of the women as well as their countries of origin. Reading this book not only made me want to read about women in science but also made me want to read more about science topics in general: I mostly enjoyed studying biology at school but I have forgotten so much I learnt. ( )
  queen_ypolita | Sep 26, 2015 |
Written as a sequel to Magnificent Minds, Remarkable Minds, unearths seventeen pioneering women in the fields of science, medicine, mathematics, and engineering. These preeminent women, both married and single, span seven different countries.

Exhibited among them is Maria Gaetana Agnesi of Italy who was the first woman to author and overseer the printing of an advanced mathematics textbook; Elizabeth Fulhame who pioneered the art of depositing bits of metal in silk to produce shimmering cloth; Hertha Ayrton, who established a sanctuary for women released from prison, was the first woman electrical engineer.

Even though the timeline title for Jane Cooke Wright, chemotherapy pioneer and first African American to receive a medical degree from Yale, is inconsistent with the actual birth of Jane Cooke Wright, the timelines for each woman along with a well-balanced array of pictures provides visual frames of reference.

This text not only gives factual information but shares obstacles to achievement along with the women's determination and resilience. Remarkable Minds, therefore, is motivating. For instance, Sophie Germain's parents 'worried about her health and the effects of study on the female mind' and limited her study time. As an adult, Sophie suffered pain and breast cancer, yet she made substantial contributions to the field of mathematics.

Gerty Cori, a victim of gender bias, explained how sugar is stored in the liver and released for use in the muscles. Although her salary was one fifth of her husband's, "Gerty published four papers on the effects of radiation on stained and unstained skin and on the metabolism of different body organs."

Another example is that of Helen Taussig who suffered dyslexia and hearing loss. Not the less, she published some forty-one papers and became the first female president of the American Heart Association. The stories in Remarkable Minds exemplify the value of persistence.

This historical work contains morsels of information such as the process of putrefaction, fallacy of the Phlogiston theory, discovery and identification of tuberculosis bacillus, the initial use of nuclear medicine, etc. All of which provide a backdrop to contextualize and clarify the biographies of such meritorious women.

I highly recommend that Remarkable Minds be used as a textbook and reference for multicultural education as well as part of any STEM (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) curriculum.

My favorite quote: "Whatever field you choose, just work quietly and steadily to make this world a better place, and your life will be worthwhile." - Helen Taussig as quote by Pendred E. Noyce

Full of the inspirational stories girls need for exploring a future in science

For centuries, women have risen above their traditional roles to pursue a new understanding of the natural world. This book, which grows out of an exhibit at the Grolier Club in New York, introduces the lives, sayings, and dreams of 16 women over four centuries and chronicles their contributions to mathematics, physics, chemistry, astronomy, and medicine. Some of the notable women portrayed in the book include French mathematician Marie-Sophie Germain, known for her work in Elasticity theory, differential geometry, and number theory; Scottish chemist Elizabeth Fulhame, best known for her 1794 work An Essay on Combustion; and Rita Levi-Montalcini, who, with colleague Stanley Cohen, received the 1986 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their discovery of nerve growth factor. A companion volume to Magnificent Minds by the same author, this book offers inspiration to all girls and young women considering a life in the sciences.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:25:47 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Penny Noyce's book Remarkable Minds: 17 More Pioneering Women in Science and Medicine was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible