The Tsar of Love and Techno: Stories by…

The Tsar of Love and Techno: Stories (2015)

by Anthony Marra

English (45)  Piratical (1)  All (46)
Well - that was interesting! Although billed as "stories" they interconnect in a complete novel.
Nothing quite describes the content and structure, although I could make an analogy to the making of a quilt: life-narratives are fabric; they are stacked and cut, then sewn back together to make a coherent picture.
Some stories are not for the squeamish. ( )
  librisissimo | Nov 10, 2017 |
The stories were very good. The narration of the audiobook was dreadful. The accents sounded like speech impediments. I recommend that you not listen to the audiobook. ( )
  fhudnell | Nov 2, 2017 |
I don't give 5 stars to many books, but I thought this was amazing. It's sort of a series of interconnected stories, but they fit together to form a novel that spans time from 1937 to the future. Much to think about. Reminded me a bit of Cloud Atlas in the way it's structured, but I think this is an even better book. And the writing: Can't believe a guy this young (mid-30s) can write like this - wow! ( )
  meredk | Sep 27, 2017 |
I was a little slow to warm to The Tsar of Love and Techno. It took me to the midpoint of the second story, about 70 pages, for the whole thing to start to click for me. Not that I didn't love the first story, I did, I just wasn't sure where the author was taking me.

This is a stunning collection of linked stories - think more intricate fine lace than a steel chain - centering around a variety of interconnected characters, from a censor in 1930s Leningrad to a curator of an art exhibit in modern day St Petersburg. Nearly unbearably heartbreaking but with a light touch of humor and irony, these are stories of love, loss, betrayal and for some, redemption. Highly, highly recommended! ( )
  coppers | Aug 22, 2017 |
Anthony Marra is one of our best writers. He’s so good, I like to read his sentences over again for their cleverness. He proved that with A CONSTELLATION OF VITAL PHENOMENA and proves that again with THE TSAR OF LOVE AND TECHNO. Even so, TSAR is not another CONSTELLATION.

CONSTELLATION is an excellent novel in every way. TSAR isn’t a novel; it is a collection of short stories, which I usually avoid because they necessarily lack character development. Also, while short stories may be interesting, they are not able to grab me, pull me in so the book becomes unputdownable like a novel can.

TSAR’s short stories seem to try to have these qualities of a novel. The stories are interconnected; the book has a cast of characters who may appear in more than one story, and the places and certain objects remain the same. Therefore, some character development happens, but it’s not enough and left me disappointed.

So TSAR bored me. But I’m hoping that this book is just something Marra put out there to tide his readers over until he has the time to give us another great novel. ( )
  techeditor | Mar 4, 2017 |
For Janet, Lindsay, and Rachel
I am an artist first, a censor second.

From the New York Times bestselling author of A Constellation of Vital Phenomena—dazzling, poignant, and lyrical interwoven stories about family, sacrifice, the legacy of war, and the redemptive power of art.

This stunning, exquisitely written collection introduces a cast of remarkable characters whose lives intersect in ways both life-affirming and heartbreaking. A 1930s Soviet censor painstakingly corrects offending photographs, deep underneath Leningrad, bewitched by the image of a disgraced prima ballerina. A chorus of women recount their stories and those of their grandmothers, former gulag prisoners who settled their Siberian mining town. Two pairs of brothers share a fierce, protective love. Young men across the former USSR face violence at home and in the military. And great sacrifices are made in the name of an oil landscape unremarkable except for the almost incomprehensibly peaceful past it depicts. In stunning prose, with rich character portraits and a sense of history reverberating into the present, The Tsar of Love and Techno is a captivating work from one of our greatest new talents.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Jul 2015 08:51:17 -0400)

A collection of interwoven tales explores themes of family, sacrifice, war, and the redemptive power of art.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,994,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible