dismiss

The Tsar of Love and Techno: Stories (2015)

by Anthony Marra

A collection of interwoven tales explores themes of family, sacrifice, war, and the redemptive power of art.

English (55)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (57)
"The Tsar of Love and Techno" is an intriguing collection of stories that can almost be called a novel. The stories are interconnected and span the 20th century starting during the Stalin era. It begins with the story of an artist, whose job it is to erase "enemies of the state" from photographs and paintings. He destroys his own brother and his brother's family, and though seemingly unrepentant of this horrendous deed, he atones for it (in his own mind) by painting his brother's face at various ages in place of those faces he must erase, even onto a landscape by the only Chechen-born artist of renown in 19th century Russia. From here the stories spread in different directions all the way to the modern Chechen war and recent times, all the while held together by the seemingly thinnest of threads to the initial story. It is an amazing, heartbreaking revelation of the invisible ties that we call fate. ( )
  Marse | Aug 10, 2020 |
Listened to this as an audiobook which maybe wasn't the best idea as although being impeccably read by a number of narrators, I lost interest in a few of the stories. Admire the ambition and when it's good its exceptional, but I just found it too patchy to fully enjoy. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
The dust jacket summary of this book suggests that it's a collection of short stories that take place between 1930 and 2013 in Russia, from Chechnya to Siberia. And though that's true, the stories interweave and are connected in really fundamental ways, completing or complementing each other.

I really, really enjoyed this book. Though my account doesn't show it, apparently, I'm pretty sure that I read and enjoyed A Constellation of Vital Phenomena several years ago, and I really enjoyed this one as well. The writing and use of language in this book was phenomenal and lyrical, an utter treat. The stories themselves, too, were really interesting, especially the ways in which they grew from each other. ( )
  forsanolim | Jun 12, 2020 |
Loved this book. Spent some time in the former Soviet Union in the late 80s and this is spot on. ( )
  sblock | May 3, 2020 |
Though I usually don't like short stories, I really enjoyed this series of stories set in Russia - primarily because they felt so connected....full of the same people. Each story delved deeper into one character's back story and thoughts/feelings, yet fitting them into the overall introductory story. A story of hardships and family dynamics and war and love and art - very well told and worth reading! ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
For Janet, Lindsay, and Rachel
I am an artist first, a censor second.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,242,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible